Press jet removal

Jason Majernik /

How the heck do you remove a press fit jet without destroying anything? I have a 1980 Honda Express that has a stock carb with press fit jets. I’ve tried sticking a screw in it to get some bite, but I’m afraid of going too far. I’ve seen videos of using an easy out, but is there a better way? I’m so afraid of fatal damage....

I want to downsize due to 4 stroking at WOT if you want to know why I want to remove it. Assuming it’s a 78, but can’t find out for sure unless I get it out.

Re: Press jet removal

> Jason Majernik Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How the heck do you remove a press fit jet without destroying anything?

> I have a 1980 Honda Express that has a stock carb with press fit jets.

> I’ve tried sticking a screw in it to get some bite, but I’m afraid of

> going too far. I’ve seen videos of using an easy out, but is there a

> better way? I’m so afraid of fatal damage....

>

> I want to downsize due to 4 stroking at WOT if you want to know why I

> want to remove it. Assuming it’s a 78, but can’t find out for sure

> unless I get it out.

Have you tried raising the slide needle clip ?

Jason Majernik /

No, actually. I see where you’re going...would I wind up with lower overall top end speed? I’d like to maximize as I can only get it up to 20 mph.

Not sure you see where I'm going . I'm suggesting an easier way to do the same thing as you're trying to do by down jetting , only in less aggressive steps .

If it's 4 stroking , it's not making the best power or the highest RPMs , which means less speed .

Lowering the needle ( raising the clip ) will lean the upper range .

Jason Majernik /

Ahhhhh!!! /Light bulb goes off.

This is what I think would help better. Thank you! This jets are rough to work with.

Thanks for your patience. I was close, but not quite there. I’ll try this.

Dirty30 Dillon /

If this is a completely stock bike, there is no way you should be that rich without something else causing issue. I would suggest looking at failed trans side seal or failed injection seals allowing oil seepage.

Jason Majernik /

I had a similar thought that there may be an issue elsewhere. I’ve been in the crankcase several times, and haven’t noticed excess oil in there, but obviously, I don’t know what I’m doing entirely. It always looked clean in there, with a little residue. I know where the transmission seal is, but where is the injection seal? Is the the reed valve under the intake?

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If this is a completely stock bike, there is no way you should be that

> rich without something else causing issue. I would suggest looking at

> failed trans side seal or failed injection seals allowing oil seepage.

My first thought would be that some prior owner has teamed out the main jet and now its too big.

Jason Majernik /

I’m not sure how much this matters, but I did change the air filter. I’m now running a stock air filter with stock foam filter that I’ve treated with 90 weight gear oil. It had a lawnmower airbox on it. I squeezed out all of the oil, so it’s lightly oily. This carb really seems to want to run lean in general. Wants to start lean. Doesn’t seem to run hot. At least any more than usual. Exhaust is fine. Not plugged. Stock, with good flow through it.

It is possible the jet could have been manipulated.

take your oiled foam filter and try it.

Jason Majernik /

That’s the one I’m using. The original was some flimsy loose foam job from a mower. I’m going to try moving the throttle clip for now and see what that response is.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account