1982 Honda Urban Express Battery Lost Charge?

Hi All.

First time post. First of all I have learned plenty via this forum from just reading. For instance from this forum alone, I learned to and completed on my 82 Honda Urban Express NU50:

- Replaced and repaired petcock.

- properly cleaned gas tank. rusted inside.

- replaced all new bulbs for all lights

- treated all rust on frame and wheel cover

- ordered numerous parts to be replaced accurately and fixed

- and the ultimate guide was the link to the manual (printed out right away)

So thanks to the members. But I’m not up and running just yet.

with being “quarantined” — this has been my fun and nightly project to get it back up and running while the fam is asleep.

Ok. The problem, one of them, currently is I purchased a Yuasa YUAM22LC1 YB2.5L-C-1 Battery and sulfuric acid. Unfortunately, it didn’t come with the tubes to connect for fill up and I was little worrisome to do it being that I’m a newbie to this sort of thing. My local body shop filled it up and charged it.

I hooked it up and all was nearly good. The right taillight not blinking and not turning on. So I fiddled with it and replaced bulb. Still not turning on. Tried to see if wiring was loose. I did this all with the battery on. Say an hour or so with it on. I realized the bulbs of the running lights had dimmed and front left tailight wouldn’t even go on.

My best guess is that I just need to charge it again?

If that is the case that it just needs another charge, would this battery charger do the trick:

NOCO GENIUS1, 1-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V And 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, And Battery Desulfator With Temperature Compensation

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W46BX31/

Mind you, the the left tailight never went on, so that question remains beyond the charge issue. Why would that tailight not turn on? Most likely the wiring connection? What should I look at it?

Thanks all.

Chris

Re: 1982 Honda Urban Express Battery Lost Charge?

What you're calling tail lights sounds like turn signals .

Those usually do not light except when powered via the turn signal switch , either right or left .

And , that charger would do .

My bad. Yes, tailight (the one in middle, back) works. The left turn signal works. The right, back does not. I know how the switcher on the left handle works. (edited)

Check the socket for the non working lamp , along with all associated wiring .

So it seems like the socket might be beyond repair. Rusted.

I am considering just buying a brand new turn signal assembly.

Sucks that it’s costs 50$. Any other suggestions or cheaper ways, let me know all!

Nah. Thx though. I’m gonna first try replacing the turn signal flasher relay. See how that goes before jump into buying a whole new assembly.

That rust will have you chasing ghosts .

Remove the rusted socket and take it to a decent auto parts store . I'd think they would be able to help with a replacement .

> Chris B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nah. Thx though. I’m gonna first try replacing the turn signal flasher

> relay. See how that goes before jump into buying a whole new assembly.

if the other signal flashes the relay is ok, unless there are two? Pic of socket, if you are patient should be able to clean it out.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> if you are patient should be able to clean it out.

That would be my route , but , maybe not for anyone that let's a little rust scare them into dropping 50 bucks . ;)

Let me clarify a bit more.

So the the front right and left blink two times. Once I switch it on. The back left blinks two times as well.

The left back light is a wiring issue. So that’s why that’s not going on at all.

However what would make the other lights only blink two times and just stay solid?

Maybe I’m going in a circle, and just need to charge the battery? I just got it charged yesterday and left it on and off dealing with it for an hour on testing the lights. Or is it the relay? It’s old the relay. Whatcha think?

Yeh, all lights (that work) only blink two times and they just stay solid afterwards.

New relay, right? Thanks.

Trust me I don’t want to spend 50. And I’m trying all routes not to first. But I don’t think it’s rust causing the issue if the lights stay solid after a couple blinks.

Replace the relay . Again , auto parts store should have what you need .

So , pull the rusted socket and the relay , then visit your friendly , helpful counter guys/gals .

You should be back to copacetic for less than 20 bucks . ;)

Ordered the exact flasher relay online. Comes soon thanks.

Captain Janeway /

If the connector in the base of the signal looks a little try a little scoffing with sandpaper. I had one where the connector and the light did quite touch.. Put some aluminum foil in there to bridge the gap. Works.

Jack Rutherford /

Is the bike running when you test the signals? If not, the battery just doesn’t have enough power to continuously flash them. Even at idle, it won’t. Charge the battery and check acid level is where it should be neither too much nor too little.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account