Seized engine???

Stacy Knight /

Will a bad belt keep the motor from turning creating what appears to be a seized engine?? After being stored for many years my 79 Moby was turning but felt stiff when I peddled so I started cleaning it up then when I tried again to pedal it wouldn't turn. My belt is very old could that be why??? I can't turn the variater with my hand either....

Thanks for any advice...

Re: Seized engine???

Stacy, can you remove the spark plug and spray penetrating oil or two stroke . Let it set a couple hours , then hand crank it.

I've also seen the magnets in the magneto stick to the coils

Stacy Knight /

I will give the oil a shot..

Stacy Knight /

thank you, if I need to get to the magnets, Im assuming I need to open the variator up....does this need a special tool?

Magnets are not in with the variator but on the other side of the moped, with the rest of the electronics. To access it, you indeed need a square 1cm breaker bar, and don't forget that it opens clockwise. But I would start with the penetrating oil. Good luck!

I don't know how far you are from LA Echo Park. But there is Tomahawk Mopeds . Seem pretty good.

Stacy Knight /

Thank you I've been in touch with Tomohawk....

Tomahawk mopeds is a dude who pays other guys to build his shit and then posts it everywhere like he did it

Stacy Knight /

Ok so the oil treatment didn't work, will look at magnets, cant find a 1cm square breaker bar to open up the box. Is this the right size?, seems small and any ideas where to get one??

Pushrod Fifty /

A worn belt on a hot day will result in the engine not turning over. Also the pedal shaft and variator could use greasing. Unless you hear a scraping noise, the mag is probably fine.

Stacy Knight /

I can't get the variator to turn by hand at all so no noice there. I took the old worn belt off and have one on order. When the engine is not engaged it pedals fine. Do I need to open up the variator to grease it? Do I need a special tool for that?? Thank you for any help....

> Stacy Knight Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> cant find a

> 1cm square breaker bar to open up the box. Is this the right size?,

> seems small and any ideas where to get one??

Just use a 3/8" breaker bar . It's less than half a MM smaller than 1cm .

Stacy Knight /

Thank you the 3/8 worked....

Stacy Knight /

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've also seen the magnets in the magneto stick to the coils

So with this in mind, advise from a member I took off the flywheel cover, now what am I looking for?? How do I know if the magnets are sticking to the coils.. Im trying to get my bike to turn over, like it did a few days ago....its sat for years but initially did turn over... I already tried the oil in the spark plug, before this seize I even had spark....

15976780354136652822699113899746.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you can't turn the bike over by hand via the flywheel, than you've seized the motor.

If that's the case, there is no reason not to just rebuild the whole motor while you're at it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account