Garelli noi won't idle (at all), runs @ 1/4+ throttle roughly.

At my wits end... almost. I could really use some help.

I should start with what's (checking out) "correct".

Headlight, tail light, brake lights all work properly

Rock solid timing (mark to mark w a light), fat blue spark, new points, zero sparking inside the stator when running.

New piston, rings, fresh crosshatch.

https://www.treatland.tv/garelli-stock-piston-p/garelli-stock-piston-40mm.htm

Head, intake, exhaust and base gasket, mag-side seal, spark plug (B7hS properly gapped). all new.

Delorto 14.12 with mesh filter

58 jet (have tried from 52-62 with same overall results)

Stock header with (slightly) modified Columbia-Sachs cigar pipe.

NO leaks anywhere, I have DOUSED this thing with carb cleaner as well as soapy water while holding the throttle at the minimum position necessary to keep the bike running without a hiccup.

The bike takes 3-4 kicks with the choke on to get popping, then starts easily holding the throttle 1/3-1/2 open, as long as you hold the throttle open "some" it will stay running, you can allow the RPMs to go down to "almost" an "idle" and keep it running with the throttle.

It runs rough and (on the stand) is slow to rev crisply, will not begin to power the bike.

The next steps (If necessary) replace the clutch-side seal ... seems I might as well rebuild the whole bottom end at this point, even though it seems smooth/quiet when running? The only possible abnormality is I can move the crankshaft about 1mm side to side holding the flywheel.

The only other thing I can find is the replacement piston is about 3mm longer (pin center to skirt) than the stock one, all other dimensions check out.

The bike has 3200 miles on it, and there's evidence the PO had their hands a lot deeper than they should've.

Any gurus have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

Re: Garelli noi won't idle (at all), runs @ 1/4+ throttle roughly.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Can you push and pull the flywheel in and out when you grab it? If so, you’ve got a spun crank and or bearings, which is sucking air through the flywheel side seal. (edited)

make sure this hole is clear for it to idle

dell_orto_carb_idle_jet_hole.jpg

Yes what he said^^^^

the magneto side seal could of been cut when u installed, theres a real sharp shoulder on the crank.

Thanks for the tips!

The seal went in with no issues, but I'm going to go ahead and rebuild the entire bottom end. I'm leaking a little gearbox oil around the pedal shaft anyhow.

The leaky transmission from your pedal shaft is not going to affect your speed or over all performance. That shaft is sealed off from the combustion part of the engine. The seals that would affect that are at the magneto and behind the clutch in the transmission. Not to say it shouldn't be addressed, but it is not the source of your problem.

I feel like I just posted another pic of that sha idle hole in another thread about a garelli not idling.

I will add, incorrect transmission fluid in garelli (anything that's not specifically "ND" non-detergent oil) will swell the clutch rubber and cause it to grab at idle and it'll keep it from idling reliably. It doesn't sound like your issue, because it would idle on the stand as long as the rear wheel could spin, and it'd only die when you stop the wheel

before u tear it all apart, id try an external condenser and go over your grounds. The leaky pedal shaft seal can be change from the outside.

Yes to that WillD. Such a good picture. That is actually a delorto for a vespa but the garelli carn has the same hole

I can't imagine a spark that blue and steady (timing light) with a bad condenser I might mount an external since I have it apart though.

Does your back wheel spin freely by hand when not running? Have you checked your exhaust pipe. They become packed solid with carbon over time. Have you done a plug chop to see what it looks like. Sounds like maybe you choke is sticking or something... Keep us posted.

i don't know how hip u are to those dellorto 14/12 carbs but, the throttle cable does not go thru the spring. i've seen em do some strange things when people make that mistake and hook em up wrong.

shathrottle.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account