Tomos a35 not idling, clutch problem?

James Boehnlein /

Ok so I started it up on the stand and it is not revving high it sounds like a lawn mower and it doesn’t idle worth crap I think the engine has resistance bad rear brake? Or bad clutch? I’m new to this I would graciously take your input/advice on this.

Re: Tomos a35 not idling, clutch problem?

sounds like a fuel issue, too rich, read up on cleaning a dellorto sha, ensure good gas flow, and check that your choke is releasing.

theres a list of things in the top post to check as well.

James Boehnlein /

So is it a problem if it’s on the stand and it felled like my back tire is locking up. I know if it’s on the stand and you hit the back brakes it’ll slow the engine down so could that be a clutch problem.

James Boehnlein /

Brand new Dellorto 21 mm

image.jpg

James Boehnlein /

Jet size 104. Should I open up the tranny case?

When is the last time The transmission has been accessed/worked on?

Yes take off the right side/ clutch cover. But don't touch or take anything off and get a few clear close up pics and Post em

If your wheel spins freely when motor is off it's probably not clutch. Take it to a local moped shop. (edited)

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

I think pat is right and you're just very rich. 104 is a big ass jet and it looks like youve got the choke on.

Does the bike just sputter and die when you hit the brake or does it lock up and die?

I have very similarly set up a35 and am running an 86 main with the stock 45 idle jet and a lean ass w11 needle I think.

That's just a reference point, you'll have to dial that carb in yourself.

I would maybe hold off on opening up the transmission side for a bit. If you do decide to open it up, pay attention to where the shims are.

James Boehnlein /

Ok so I thought their was resistance to the engine so this morning I spun the back tire just fine then I started it up and got the rear tire spinning then the engine died and I spun the rear tire again and it was hard to turn so I continued to take the rear tire off because it was the tire itself that was hard to turn and I took out the brake pad/brakes and they were very rusted and looked shot so is that why the rear tire was locking up? Also I have a 70cc kit on it so is 104 still big?

James Boehnlein /

I do not think it’s a clutch problem but I should probably replace that soon anyway because the 70cc kit is probably tearing it up.

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

> James Boehnlein Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Also I have a 70cc kit on it so is 104 still big?

Yes, I think so. You should definitely replace your brakes if they look shitty, but they're not keeping you from idling.

James Boehnlein /

Yep I think I just need to turn in my idle screw and just adjust the carburetor but would the bad brakes keep it from revving high.

since your so focused on the rear rusted brake, just take the chain off and leave it off and test. |Double check your choke is all the way down, push pull twist, etc. Every bike is different but 104 main is big,

Rebuilding the clutches, inspecting innerds is pretty common, alotta threads and will save you time/ money down the road.

Gotta keep an eye on the pie

James Boehnlein /

I had it running before with the 104 and it was running fine but yep I’m going to take the chain off and get it idling and adjusted.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account