Seat re-upholstery. Any suggestions ~ Ideas

Any ideas on seat reupholstery would be appreciated. Places in the NY/BK area would be of particular interest.

My bike got subjected to the cruel temps of NYC last winter after the cover was stolen in the late summer. The seat finally cracked after 37 years. I had to go the Black gaffers tape route. No, Im not an uncaring owner; I was away since December 2018 doing Masters work in Argentina.

The frame has over 4000 miles clocked on the speedo but it was always stored in doors or under a cover. I want to get the bike looking good again and making the seat comfy. It's a "sleeper" style of bike restoration so I really don't want a perfect new shinny seat; it would not match the tank.

Funny thing is I'm getting ready to part with the bike. and, NO, Im not trying to jack the price up by fixing the seat. I just still Love to work on/make better a bike that has given joy and excitement for so long. I want to assure that the new buyer gets a hassle free, totally functioning ride that is decent to look at. Even might entice them to do a paint job/ strip down type rebuild kinda thing. The bike deserves it too.

Re: Seat re-upholstery. Any suggestions ~ Ideas

A local cobbler/shoe repair guy can make you a wonderful leather cover for far less than an upholstery shop.

Had many saddle and long seats done by my local 78 year old badass for under $100. In real leather! Great deals just walk in with the seat and ask.

Thanks for the tip. That is a real solution. There are two leather shop in my neighborhood, an expensive one with crazy prices and a really cool exhippy lady that can make anything.

cheers

Do you have access to an ordinary sewing machine? And want to do a little work on it yourself?

I found that button thread and amazon vinyl make decent seat covers and doesn’t take much time or talent.

Hardest part is attaching it to the seat pan if you don’t have the tools or hardware for that.

My kids seat was an old T-shirt, 1” foam, vinyl. Stitched through for the ribbed look and stapled onto a 2x4 with more cushion padding. Took all of 1 hour, learn as you go.

You’ll have way more vinyl and foam than you need and it will be inexpensive

3363FEE9-E07E-48DB-8DB9-2B5779C452CE.jpeg
74B83EBF-813F-4645-BC97-FE115629AB99.jpeg

I also did /do my own seats with a regular old Brother sewing machine .

I use marine vinyl and UV resistant thread .

How it starts :

How it looks when done :

I have to do the seat on my FA50 , as the sun has done it in pretty good .

Did this one with a 1927 singer machine. I'm no pro but it came out pretty good.

63c0864c.jpg
IMG_0378.jpg

You guys are giving me hope; ambition too. My seat is pretty basic. I've never used a sewing machine though; but I have always wanted to know how to.

I actually just recovered my seat yesterday. If you have a common bike theres tons of chinese seat coveres all over ebay. Mine was done in about 20 minutes with contact cement and 6mm staples

Contact cement, spray adhesive, whatever it’s called...

Make sure you get good stuff. There’s cheap garbage that doesn’t stick or is for arts and crafts projects.

I can’t remember the one I bought, but it should come out almost like silly string and be so sticky, you will rip the vinyl if you touch it together on accident and try to separate it.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Contact cement, spray adhesive, whatever it’s called...

also remember when they say use in a ventilated area, thats more of a suggestion. rock on brother

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account