Best bike bench features?

Terbo Speghetti /

I'm gonna build a bench to work on my bikes tonight. Tryna brainstorm some cool add-ons like maybe a flip-up wheel chock or built in magnetic dish slots.

You got any ideas? What works for you?

Re: Best bike bench features?

I used to build my mopeds in my dining room.

An upside down bucket is good to sit on.

If I had enough money to build a nice work bench, I’d probably spend it on more mopeds.

Seriously, I can’t think of much. Mopeds are super lightweight and simple. However, rolling with your wheel chock idea, maybe have some full length angle to both support the wheels and place them perfectly in line. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to shim wheel spacers and know that everything is as good as it can be.

A 12V power source for a timing light and some convenience outlets.

Super fancy would be a vented exhaust collector.

I’m out of ideas.

Terbo Speghetti /

Ha, I've spent enough money on mopeds. Time to make it more reasonable to work on them lol. I like the 12v idea, I never thought about that! And yeah, I get what you mean about having something to keep the wheels lined up. I was picturing a chock on either end that could flip up, I think that would accomplish what you're talking about.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Eye Bolts/Screws at the 4 corners for tying down either front or back

Levelers on each foot.

I like a trough built into the bench, as a catch for tools and bits, so that if you need to pull the bike down you don't have to put away/accidentally scatter your tools.

I always wanted to do a ramp bench, but honestly there isn't a moped I cannot lift onto a bench, so it seems like a waste of footprint.

I'm getting old and so sitting on the floor or bent over on a bucket has not been getting any more comfortable. I grabbed an office desk my work was tossing out. It is wide enough I am able to attach both a vice and my drill press to it. I do need to figure out some better ways to hold the bike on there if it does not have a kickstand. Right now I am using straps suspended from the ceiling to hold the bike, but I like Dillon's idea of the loops on the bench itself. I may do that when I move next month and have to re-setup my workspace.

20200413_134615.jpg

maybe add a drain pan in the middle? catch all your old oil or spilled gas so its not all over the floor or bench?

I've been working on the noble 1984 Trac Clipper on our back porch, which has roof beams strong enough to suspend said moped. So I reinforced a bicycle lift, which is a bunch of pulleys, with new rope and proper lag bolts and hooks bent out of quarter inch steel rod. When the bike is to be either stored or worked on I hook the hooks onto the rear luggage rack and the center portion of the handlebars, strike up a sea chantey, and haul away on the rope until El Clipper is at a good height for repair. I can usually start it while it's thus suspended by tugging on the rear wheel.

100% of the time i'm laying on the floor next to a bike. So much of my experience is from that initially uncomfortable position that now anything raised on a bench just feels awkward. Like all last night I was rolling around on the floor fixing a tomos that I had leaned up against the bike lift. the lift just winds up being a stand to lean shit against, it's just weird and annoying to have the bike lifted up

but to your question - I could answer why I feel that way.

1) it sucks trying to start a bike up on a bench. I can pedal a bike on the ground.

2) it sucks getting to the controls on a bench, you're reaching over your head trying to twist the throttle, on the floor it's comfortable reach

3) shit gets lost on around or under it. same with the floor but there's less room to lose stuff

4) moving it, moving around it. it's so much easier just stepping over a bike than going around a bench, sliding a roller seat around a bike on the floor. turn it how you need it, lay it on it's side, whatever, bench has 1 position

plus there's no setup on the floor, you don't need to roll it on, lift it up, chock it in place and strap it down (or up) - you just lean it or toss it on the stand and get in there.

5) aligning lighting. there's no directional orientation on the floor.

so basically if you could make the bench into just being the floor, that'd be cool

Adjustable height would be nice

Think I'm gonna buy a cheap harbor freight bike lift when they go on sale. Been wanting one for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger.

Everyone winds up with a preferred repairing position. I've repaired electronics and clocks on my lap for so many years that it's difficult for me to use a bench.

Bicycles are handiest to repair upside-down, and that works okay on a moped if you can ignore the carburetor and, prior to inverting the bike, spread a plastic grocery bag over the fuel filler hole and then screw the filler cap on top of that. That'll prevent fuel from exiting via the vent in the fuel cap. But mostly I work on mine while it's hanging from the rafters.

Mark Kinsler

Someday im gonna have a bench when i get enough room but the first thing id add would be a catch all, tray to hold hand tools and spray cans n stuff, i have one on the tool box and its perfect, holds tons n acts as a backsplash. Mobile mechanic trailers use em.

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Someday im gonna have a bench when i get enough room but the first thing

> id add would be a catch all, tray to hold hand tools and spray cans n

> stuff, i have one on the tool box and its perfect, holds tons n acts as

> a backsplash. Mobile mechanic trailers use em.

A bench is a catch all. When I built my shop up I made a bunch of work benches and they are all full of shit now. I am slowly getting rid of them when I clean them off. I figure a bike lift would be a good roll around work bench that I would be forced to clean if I wanted to put a bike on it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I have an engine bench in my shop, but don't have room for a bike bench currently, given my bike load.

Once I hand off some of the ones I have in the garage, I will probably finish designing one. For now, I am on the ground which is ok

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account