Seal leak ZA 50

Rob Abbott /

Rebuilt my ZA50 over the winter - replaced everything bearing, gasket, and seal - but now discovered I have a leaky seal behind the stator. Can I replace it without cracking my whole case open? Or can I do something crazy like doubling up the seals ( e.g. adding a new one on from the stator side)? Thanks in advance.

82F5543D-1299-44FE-A37C-235CEF7F8CB0.jpeg

Re: Seal leak ZA 50

just remove n replace, take note on hoe deep it is.

Alex Fredericksen /

You can take that seal out with some tiny hooks like dentist tools or a tiny screwdriver. It's slightly annoying but doable.

It just pulls right out, but often they stick in there but good. I think I see some writing on your old seal, so copy that down first in case you really destroy the thing when you remove it. (Though if that happens, you just need the seal thickness, shaft diameter, and seal diameter, all of which you can measure.)

If hooks don't work, and they well might not, find a little hand drill and carefully bore a hole--1/16" will do--through the rubber-covered metal part of the seal near its outer rim. Do not gouge or otherwise bother the shaft--cover it with tape, first, perhaps.

Then find a sheet-rock or sheet-metal screw of any length (sheet rock=plasterboard=wallboard) and thread it into that hole perhaps one turn or so until it's in there securely. You don't want it to penetrate into the bearing or the case.

And then find a claw hammer and pull on the sheet metal screw like you're pulling out a nail, and the seal will pop right out.

Use the flat side of a socket wrench of an appropriate size to press the seal back in. If you can avoid using a hammer that's generally best, but generally that's not practical.

Mark Kinsler

Rob Abbott /

Thanks guys. I'll give it a whirl.

Overpriced Parts /

A sleazy way, lay bike down on side, put little bit of oil on crankshaft and seal area and put a new one seal in front of it in the position like if it was a oil injector engine (but you didn’t hear me say this ha ha)

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

One very helpful trick to removing them is to drive the seal further in slightly, it breaks the seal out of its position and will help it become "unstuck", really helpful for stubborn ones that don't want to budge. Just be careful not to push them too far in where you cant reach them anymore.

Thank you. I'd never heard of that, but it makes excellent sense.

Mark Kinsler

Rob Abbott /

Best answer yet, Ken! Your secret is safe with me.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account