NC50 battery not charging

I can't get my new battery to charge anymore in my 82 nc50. I figure It's my rectifier. I looked on bikebandit for an oem one but it's over 30 dollars to ship to me. Does anyone have an replacement suggestions that might be a little cheaper?

Re: NC50 battery not charging

Battery is less than a week old. Thank you for the link to a replacement rectifier

Check the battery first. Ive had brand new ones that were bad out of the box. Put battery on trickle charger for a few hours and see if it takes a charge.

I'll try that. Ever since I've had my express it's just been plagued by electrical issues. The first battery I had in it was the original which was no good, the I had a replacement that worked for a good 5 minutes before blowing the headlight, then this new one I have has been working for about a week with the headlight and taillight consistently working but the battery not having enough charge to run the signals and horn at the same time

Jack Rutherford /

Many of these batteries ship without acid so you need to add acid to the battery to the proper level and not water. Battery instructions often recommend that you do this over a period of time as the level you fill to can go down after the battery sits for a few hours. Assuming that is the case, my trickle charger and others won't even charge a new battery because it has some built in safety device or related BS that kicks in and won't charge the battery if the voltage is too low. I've had success filling the battery and then going on several 20-30 minute rides to charge the battery.

Or perhaps you can take your battery to a battery's plus and they might be willing to charge it for you overnight. They usually prefer that you buy the item there.

Beyond that, make sure all the wiring under the seat is properly connected and check the rectifier for connectivity as well. Double check the wiring from the stator connections which will be coming out of the frame near the carburetor. (edited)

My trickle charger is an a.c. adapter for some personal trimmers I threw away. Its nothing more than a transformer that turns 120v a.c. into 6v d.c. @ 600 milliamps. < That would translate to six tenths of one amp. Look around, there many things that use this type of power supply. If the battery charges from the charger then you know its the ped at fault. If it doesn't charge then the battery is at fault. (edited)

see if you can find an agm battery, I have one in my Express and been quite pleased with it, no adding water etc....make sure your terminals are tight, one of mine popped off and blew my head and tail light... :/

So the replacement rectifier came and I have it hooked up and it seems to be working somewhat to the point where the battery is charging a little. I bought the battery from batteries plus where they filled it but refused to charge it for me. I have ran through the bikes wiring harness to make sure all connections are clean and tight

battery is charging a little.

Good . That's exactly how it's suppose to work .

I run mine without a battery. If I do get one, it will NOT be lead/acid. So done with those.

Should I fully charge the battery out of the bike? I can't use siganls or the horn with the headlight and taillight running constantly. If I turn on the signals the tailight dims really low and the signals just barely come on. If I hit the horn it'll occasionally work if I've been riding for a while, other times it just dims my headlight

WOW! I am getting one for mine. (I am giving it to my daughter). Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for their help, it's helped me learn a lot about my bikes electrical system. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can get a charger for the battery? I know live ɘvil said he used some trimmer charger but didn't say if modification was necessary or not

A plug in charger, 300-500ma should work. Unloaded voltage no greater than 9v. You could add a 1amp fuse inline also

I also ordered one. But I have a 12v headlight, and LED taillights, not sure how I will end up, brightness wise.

So say I have a 300ma wall adapter, do I just cut off the previous port on there and separate the wires, splice them back a bit, and connect them to the respective positive and negative terminals?

I'm very new to the electrical stuff and not very good with it so I apologize for any dumb questions I might be asking

> Daniel Scott Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So say I have a 300ma wall adapter, do I just cut off the previous port

> on there and separate the wires, splice them back a bit, and connect

> them to the respective positive and negative terminals?

That's all it takes . ;)

Not a dumb question, I was just sleeping and could not answer.

> Daniel Scott Wrote:

> So say I have a 300ma wall adapter, do I just cut off the previous port

> on there and separate the wires, splice them back a bit, and connect

> them to the respective positive and negative terminals?

Yes but dont get them backwards. A cheap muiltimeter will tell you which is + & -

Thank you all!

Just hacked up an 8v 350mA charger and spliced in alligator clips at the end to attach to my battery posts. Any advice for how long the charging process might take?

Just a non educated guess : about 10 hours for a full from no charge .

Maybe less considering the higher voltage , but ???

If its a lead acid battery, 3-4 hours at most. Much longer and you'll cook it. You will hear it bubbling inside and see acid appear in the over flow tube ( don't forget to hook that up or you'll have acid all over the place.

Charged it for 3 and had all signals and horn working. Rode for about 20 minutes and about 10 minutes in I noticed that the horn and signals stopped working. Might put the battery back on charge or see if something's amiss on the bike

> Daniel Scott Wrote:

> Charged it for 3 and had all signals and horn working. Rode for about 20

> minutes and about 10 minutes in I noticed that the horn and signals

> stopped working. Might put the battery back on charge or see if

> something's amiss on the bike

You can pretty much bet on that^ .

Sounds like the the lights were working completely off the battery .

I'd check the lighting coil and all connections . They should all be shiny clean and scratch tight , including all grounds .

Start the ped and probe the battery terminals with a muiltimeter to see if its charging or discharging.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account