Hobbit / Camino - Rear Sprocket Freewheel Axle Nut Removal

Hi been trying to remove the rear axle sprocket nut in order to remove the transmission from rear wheel but it’s on tight. Can’t seem to get it to budge.

Any tips on how to free it up?

I’ve read put it in a vice and turn the wheel.

Thanks

Re: Hobbit / Camino - Rear Sprocket Freewheel Axle Nut Removal

Put it in a big ass vice and torque the shit out of the wheel. One time when I was a teenager I removed one by using a pair of vice grips I really really clamped on there and duct taped them to a very long piece of lumber. I've also done it with a hammer and a crescent wrench. My preferred method is the vice though.

No worries will give it a go.

How do you give it loads of torque in the vice? Just grab the tyre and rotate anti-clockwise as hard as possible?

> W D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> No worries will give it a go.

>

> How do you give it loads of torque in the vice? Just grab the tyre and

> rotate anti-clockwise as hard as possible?

Yeah you can get some good torque grabbing it from the top and rotating from each side. Or get a buddy to help and you'll get it. They're really a pain in the ass

Get you one of these.

> Den 23 Wrote:

> Get you one of these.

And , if that^ ain't enough , get a few feet of :

Thanks chaps. Guessing the above is big bit of extra leverage / thick gauge pipe? Not sure how I would counteract all this force without damaging something.

Also doubt I can hold the wheel and apply the force required with all that extra leverage. Would be difficult to do on my own. Will try and get some help and give it a try.

After closer inspection I definitely guffed up some parts in the process.

The freewheel is binding up now.

Think I’ve bent reduction gearbox input shaft from chain drive or have completely ruined rear wheel bearing or the freewheel sprocket assembly (heard it has lots of tiny bearings in!! These I can hear are graunching).

Going to take a look at parts manual and see what it’s made up of.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Some older bicycle ships have spanner wrenches that may work.You can try to call around and ask if any have them.

Well I’ve tried and I’ve tried again. But this thing will not budge. Not sure where to go next other than get the angle grinder out.

Behind the nut which is exposed there are some flats (about 38mm from memory).

Do I need to be cranking on these or counterhold them?

I’ve tried hearing it up and spraying excessive amounts of lubricant / penetrating fluid but still won’t move.

Man, I would LOVE to see a picture of this thing.

the whole freewheel is the nut. those two flats are what you put the spanner on, i made one from a husky open end from home depot grinded it to fit and a few taps with a hammer and its off, no big deal.

If you try to use an angle grinder to remove it you're gonna wind up needing a whole new rear wheel/transmission. Just get some muscles bro

Well it finally gave and I got it off.

Smashed a 7/8 12point socket on.....that didn’t work so swapped to 22mm socket on 2ft and a bit ft breaker bar and it finally came loose at last.

The nut has certainly been chewed up in the process.

Will need to replace this but I’ve already seen that the inside of these is full of bearings and bits that will be a nightmare to reassemble.

D89C6AF1-6A36-444A-AE03-04D7BDD614A7.jpeg
DB7788D2-9A92-4C43-ACBF-7D61072E16A1.jpeg
AC5EBB52-6204-4A3F-8941-293A924D8A3E.jpeg

Just file the flats flat and rounds round .

Then make a tool to fit and don't use loctite . ;)

Dirty30 Dillon /

psyche (edited)

SWEET! I like that approach. those things are fucking brutal. I had proper bike show tools and couldn't budge em. the only way I've ever gotten em loose is like nick suggested, clamp it in a big ass bench vise, and turn the whole wheel like a steering wheel. and even then it's a struggle.

Thanks for the help. I certainly appreciate it. Sometimes I guess you just have to get a bit brutal. A crescent wrench adapter to a breaker bar probably would of been a bit more forgiving but think it needed to be gripped on all sides with a 12 point to get it off as others have suggested. Just leaves you with a chewed up nut which can be replaced or as suggested just filed down.

Have now got my rear variator on now just need to get hold of a front variator assembly and the upgrade from mono to vario shall be complete!

Hopefully I will be able to make it up the hills after the conversion.

Thanks once again.

> W D Wrote:

> A crescent wrench adapter to a breaker

> bar probably would of been a bit more forgiving

I have gotten them off with a crescent wrench duct taped to an 8 foot long 2 by 4, so that is an option if you have to do it again

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account