Why is it so hard to pedal start Hobbit?

Steve Parsons /

Got this 1978 Hobbit PA2 running after being in barn since 1082/83. Seems to start and run well....using an electric drill to spin motor over. So I tried to start it using the pedals...damn, could hardly get the pedals moving! There seems to be a lot of drag in the system before the motor...in the rear gearbox? Maybe I'm just to weak and light (130pounds, age 77+). Any known solutions and/or repairs I should look into?

Thanks

Re: Why is it so hard to pedal start Hobbit?

Are you pulling the decomp lever?

^ That should help, but I have never used mine (decomp) in the 22 yrs I have owned the same bike, being light may be your issue. I wish I was still light! :) If the rear pulley is bad you should not break about 18-20 mph when you should see 30-33 mph top speed, especially at your weight. @ 200 I got 31 mph out of mine on the flats.

u can push start it as well instead of pedaling.

Steve Parsons /

The decompression lever helps only slightly. I just can't maintain the pedling long enough and fast enough to engage the starter clutch. Age has taken it's tole the past couple years. Will have to get a friend over to try it out.

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe look into a pull start? Several people on here have made/sell them. Not sure if treatland.tv has them but worth a look.

Steve Parsons /

thanks....will look...Treats no longer has them

Yeah it is s sucky part about hobbits.Bump start is easiest on them maybe.Is your rear pulley opening up properly?I have a problem with my pulley right now,and it makes kicking it over really hard.

Steve Parsons /

The pulley seems to be working right....squeezing the belt together causes the rear pulley to open up. Should the pulley open as you pedal against compression?

Emil Kniemel /

How is your chain? Is it easy to pedal in bicycle mode?

Steve Parsons /

Chain seems fine...pedals easily. It's just me, I think...a couple years ago I wouldn't of had any trouble. I'm at the moment trying to get the electrics hooked up properly (ignition switch, kill switch...using a jumper wire at the moment) and once that done, may disassemble the starter clutch to see if anything wrong there.

Thanks

I made an adapter once that connected the pedal shaft to a drill. Then I could bed in the new starter clutch shoes that weren't catching.

Is there a one way bearing kit for the hobbit? That might help.

Aaron Ward /

Little bird legs?

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Emil Kniemel /

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I made an adapter once that connected the pedal shaft to a drill. Then I

> could bed in the new starter clutch shoes that weren't catching.

>

> Is there a one way bearing kit for the hobbit? That might help.

There is a one-way. Also he 's over 75 years old and only weighs 130. The one-way would help but i suspect he would get a lot of rear wheel dragging before being able to build momentum to start it. I have this problem but I'm half his age.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account