Gas leaking badly on 1980 Puch Maxi

Hi I got this bike about three weeks ago ofF Craig’s List. All seemed well. But ran out of gas quite quickly- after driving about 5 miles and I had just filled it up! It’s Not losing gas while off, but I took this video of the bike idling:

Ugh! Any suggestions?

I did add Back plastic side covers but do not think I touched fuel line. FYI this video was taken right after I filled up the tank. Thanks for any advice.

Re: Gas leaking badly on 1980 Puch Maxi

Ok I drove up and down the street and idled again and now it’s NOT leaking, FYI in first video the petcock was in “on” position. Here again is idling after my short ride. Looks OK?

Finally, I shut bike off but forgot to shut off petcock After I Uploaded This video and it started leaking again while bike was off but petcock on. Also Is there a simple way to check fuel level in gas tank?

Thanks !

Fuel level in gas tank: open the cap and shake the bike back and forth and look/listen to the fuel slosh.

Leaky carb: replace the float needle valve in the carburetor.

If your odometer works then just write down the mileage when you fill and then when it’s empty.

That is not a safe condition, if the engine was really hot it could go up on you, check float and needle, also ALWAYS shut off petcock every time you shut down, even if bike does not leak, I suspect sticky needle. Check all fuel line connections/fasteners.

I have never taken apart a carburetor on anything. Should I look for a small engine guy near me? Anyone know any moped repair people near Albany, NY?

You can replace the float needle valve with just a flat head, a small adjustable wrench, and maybe a set of needle nose pliers. There are exploded diagrams and tutorial videos aplenty.

Bing carb maintenance is Mopeds 101, so now could be a good chance to figure out if this hobby (with the frequent maintenance involved) is something you're interested in. Otherwise you could rapidly spend more at a shop than you did on the bike itself.

> Michael Winn Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have never taken apart a carburetor on anything. Should I look for a

> small engine guy near me? Anyone know any moped repair people near

> Albany, NY?

While I am sure you can find one I would reserve it for larger jobs. But on a puch e50 there is no job too big to tackle yourself. You won't mess anything up that cant be replaced. Just dive in, and have fun!

Remember. It's just mopeds.

Check the fuel line itself. Chase it from the gas tank to where it connects to the carb (banjo bolt). If it is old and crispy, it could have a crack in it. Your leak seems pretty excessive for a gasket leak. Either something is loose or you fuel line is old and cracked. If it is the fuel line, its a super easy fix. Most moped run 3/16" semi-clear hose. Any auto part store sells it. Run and get ya a length of it. Turn off petcock valve. Carefully wiggle off the old line with a flat head screw driver and install new line. Make sure you cut to length. You can measure off the old line you take out.

So I tried something: I taped a thick large envelope a few inches below where the leak was and then drove the bike for 5 minutes on the streets. Stopped before the bike got too hot so it wouldn't ignite the envelope! Anyway, I looked at envelope and it was completely dry- not one drop of fuel.

So, wondering, when I shot that video I had just filled my gas tank. could I have over filled and it was fuel dripping?

Or second, could the reserve tank be leaking? It does not seem to be leaking any more fuel. BTW- the fuel line appears to be new, replaced by the person whom I bought the bike from.

Thanks!

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> That is not a safe condition, if the engine was really hot it could go

There's no way your engine could get hot enough to ignite gasoline, that's crazy.

You must take your carburetor apart and fix the needle valve leak. Just like they told you. No other option,

> Seth B Wrote:

> You must take your carburetor apart and fix the needle valve leak. Just

> like they told you. No other option,

He could just let it leak , tempting the ignition to take control and big bang the bike . LOL

Somebody had a video on ma of that very thing, whole maxi went up, you never want a fuel leak of any kind.

^^ Right?! I remember that video. At least it was in the driveway, not his garage.

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you aren't willing to take apart a carb to troubleshoot, you should divest of mopeds immediately.

Honestly. I'm not even being sarcastic.

They are vintage, sub-par motorcycles. Any part that hasn't been replaced will eventually fail, and even replaced parts (unless done correctly) will fail.

If you're not interested in getting elbow deep in maintenance, you're hunting the wrong hobby.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> If you aren't willing to take apart a carb to troubleshoot, you should

> divest of mopeds immediately.

>

> Honestly. I'm not even being sarcastic.

>

> They are vintage, sub-par motorcycles. Any part that hasn't been

> replaced will eventually fail, and even replaced parts (unless done

> correctly) will fail.

>

> If you're not interested in getting elbow deep in maintenance, you're

> hunting the wrong hobby.

This is such a true statement. It is practically a part time job keeping 3 running bikes and I'm going for a 4th. Every week something else needs repaired on one of them. Man it is great!

I understand and am willing to learn and get my hands dirty. My conundrum is that ever since filling up the bike and seeing that leak I have been unable to reproduce the leak. I have driven around d the block and back and kept idling and no leak. The fuel line is brand new so that is Ok. I just do not want to have to do unnecessary work - especially knowing eventually I will be doing this stuff. What about my theory of the reserve tank leaking? And once that is empty there is no more leak? Just wondering why I cannot replicate their leak.

On another note anyone know why some of the holes in this sprocket are filled with little plastic pieces and some are not? See picture.

Thanks all for your honest input.

99FCEC87-4CFB-43DE-897A-77FE046FB3EB.jpeg

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

> Michael Winn Wrote:

> On another note anyone know why some of the holes in this sprocket are

> filled with little plastic pieces and some are not? See picture.

There is no reserve tank on the bike, it's a just a lower position in the petcock that fuel gets sucked through. "Reserve" and "On" travel through the same line, so I can't imagine that being your phantom leak issue.

Stock sprockets had a plastic damper on them to reduce chain sound/rattle. Yours seems to have broken off. I wouldn't worry about it (edited)

It is NOT unnecessary work! Clean your dang carb! For shit’s sake! It is the VERY first thing you should do when you get a moped.

I give up. Seriously.

YOUR NEEDLE VALVE WAS LEAKING!!!!

You have/had a piece of dirt, rust or other debris between the needle & seat. There is no other explanation, or solution other than

CLEAN YOUR DANG CARBURETOR!!!

I seriously hope your listening skills improve, or this is gonna be a rough go for you.

It is literally the most common, and simplest repair issue you will ever come across with mopeds.

Thanks!

Sibryan, thanks- I am all over it:

Leak in tank, bad petcock, leak in line, bad needle valve, bad float, or bad bowl gasket.

Tank is an expensive issue, petcock is less than $20, fuel line, needle valve, float, and gasket are less than $10 each, so it's usually a cheap, easy, and quick fix.

I don't understand the hesitation. Blowing up your bike or garage to save some work or $20?

Float needle .The little rubber piece gets worn out.

It’s my first project but I am taking it apart as advised and will trouble shoot, and update parts.

Thanks all!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account