replacing za50 crank seals

Just split the case and replace the seals or is it possible to do without splitting the cases?

I'm hoping not to replace bearings so I don't have to go through re-shimming everything. If I have to split the cases I will.

Update: read some other threads. Seems I just gotta tear it all down. Bearings have always sounded fine so I’m going to leave them. If you think that’s a horrendous idea lemme know. (edited)

Re: replacing za50 crank seals

Wesley Ambrosini /

That is a horrible idea. If you're in there replace the bearings.

> Wesley Ambrosini Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That is a horrible idea. If you're in there replace the bearings.

I’ll have to reshim the crank, correct?

Overpriced Parts /

> Wesley Ambrosini Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That is a horrible idea. If you're in there replace the bearings.

Not really !

Puch bearings if in good shape if used will outlast any new ones unless you can get Nos Puch ones especially if you don’t get the crank outer races pressed in correctly, crank shimmed correctly, and all that Jazz

And if you’re going to replace the bearings complete inner and outer races x2 and reshim you might as will get a new needle conrod pressed on your crank,

And when I got a new Conrod pressed in the crank I reused bearings I took off before too if in good shape, most times these engine had only a few hundred miles on them then they sat and few parts of the bearings got rusted they weren't worn out.

I’ve fixed many a noisy Bearing za50 Engine By just replacing a few rusted ball bearings that were the bearing cage Leaving the outer races in the case, and if one side bearing was bad (Mostly only mag side would be rusted) I would just replace that one side bearing or just the outer race sometimes with a good used one,

If replacing bearings and I come up with a good set from one side I save it for reuse because I like I just said even used they are better than most new ones (but I take care not to damage them

It’s way less trouble then remove all the three parts of each bearing x2 from the case and the crank, reshim and everything and I have factory tools and a press,

I have many engines that are still in service working perfectly that only replaced a few ball bearings, maybe a inner or outer race on one side with good used ones

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account