Honda Camino PA50 Carb / Idling Issues

Hi had a read of the wiki for the Pa50 carb and have followed all the cleaning instructions and info on there but still can’t to get it to idle without it dying.

From what I’ve read it will be an issue with the tip in / idle circuit.

Thinking that it will need to be ultrasonically cleaned to get rid of the debris in the carb. Anyone had luck doing this?

Also adjusting the air screw doesn’t appear to have an impact when I screw it in or out. Is it subtle or should there be a noticeable change?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Honda Camino PA50 Carb / Idling Issues

Yup, normal. They need to be very throughly cleaned. I cleaned mine about four times with compressed air and solvent before mine idled.

Thanks for the reply. Will keep trying with the cleaning!! Any other hints or tips?

Any reason why idle mixture screw has no effect? Is it due to the idle / tip in circuit issue above?

I can see the 2 tiny holes that sit next to each other in the Venturi / throat aperture where the throttle valve is. Are these the ones that need thorough cleaning?

Thanks

Use brake cleaner for a better job .

u can try taking off that needle and spray brake cleaner ^^ into that orifice and compressed air. There is also conviently placed screw (flat head) which u can take out and blast with brake cleaner and air as well without taking the carb off. idle mixture screw is atleast 4 times out from lightly seated.

Thanks for the comments.

Have stripped it down and it’s sitting in a bath of engine degreaser hopefully a night in that then flushed with hot water will sort it out.

Will also get myself a can of compressed air and brake cleaner to blast though all the channels and holes as suggested.

Not sure what else more I can do other than ultra sonic bath.

How clean does the main jet and emulsion tube need to be? Do you have to scrape the holes and mating surfaces completely clean? They kind of get a build up off dark / grey gunge on them which I can scrape off with my nail.

Thanks for all the help.

All jets and passages should be pristine clean . Shiny kinda clean .

I wouldn't scrape much on/in the jets as that can alter the orifice(s) .

after u clean your carb, make sure your gas is clean and not contaminated and run an in-line fuel filter.

Camino should have a filter in the petcock, see that that is clean, normally that is good enough, carb has to be surgically clean to work well, but once it is, IF you store it right you will never have to go through this again. :) on my 22nd year of not cleaning my Hobbit carb....

Yep I’ve cleaned the fuel tank and fitted a new petcock. Fuel is new and clean and have an inline fuel filter fitted.

Looks like the carb must have some crud in it somewhere likely the idle / tip in circuit as said above. Just can’t seem to get it shifted.

It pulls fine past this point to WOT but Four strokes at top speed / WOT which I think is normal with the stock exhaust?

I don’t really want to take the Welch plug off as not sure how to replace without it leaking.

Perhaps ultra sonic would be the best way to shift something buried deep inside the carb?

Appreciate all the help and advice.

> W D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I don’t really want to take the Welch plug off as not sure how to

> replace without it leaking.

Just drill a hole in the Welch plug and pop it out . Then clean the passages .

New plugs are available at most any decent auto parts store .

They are very cheap . Buy more than one .

With the proper size ( one that simply fills the hole when dropped in ) , set it with a round drift and a somewhat mild hit .

Look at the 'condition' of the plug set at the factory to get an idea of what the new plug should look like after that mild hit .

Hi I am based in the UK and not sure that I can get hold of them. I’ve searched the part number from the wiki but can’t seem to find them.

Agree taking the Welch plug off would be the best thing to do so I can get it good and clean.

Just nervous of getting swarf in the carb and also damaging it with drill bit. Also concerned about fitting new welch plug and it leaking.

You need a punch / drift of right size and hammer to do job right?

Tips are helping!!

This video might help :

What type of Welch plug do I need, dish or plate type? Got a link below for some in the UK.

Is 5/16” the right size?

https://enginecoreplugs.com/

CP83 CORE PLUG DISH TYPE 1 5/16″

CP9 CORE PLUG CUP TYPE 1 5/16″

I don't know what size you need . Measure it .

Every plug I've installed in a carb has looked like :

Thank you I shall take off the plug and measure it. Looks like the dish type that I need from your pictures. Appreciate all the help.

You could measure the hole before you remove the plug .

Then once you have a replacement plug , remove the one in your carb .

CYA . Always . ;)

If you have the petcock filter, the inline may be too restrictive, not 100% on this, but maybe take it out and try?

Hi yer I’ve tried this. When I bought some new fuel line i thought I would trial with and without an in line filter. Doesn’t seem to make a difference. I have a decent (Karcoma - Germany) petcock fitted which has 2 filters in it so probably overkill having an in line one too.

So you saying it could potentially be restricting fuel flow having an in line fuel filter?

It can, it's gravity fed. If the filter is too restrictive the bowl can fill too slowly and empty whilst riding.

So I managed to get the idle / tip in circuit clear (I think) as the bike now idles - yay!!!

But now WOT doesn’t work that well. Sounds like it gets bogged down?

I’ve checked enough fuel etc... and blockages all seems good at petcock and in the tank.

It was working well under WOT before I cleaned it so guess I’ve got some gunk in it somewhere.

I was very meticulous about the cleaning of it so not sure where I’ve gone wrong.

Any ideas??

Guess the carb is going to coming off again for another tinker.

Just when I thought I had cracked it.

Going to open up the carb and see if I can find any crap in the main jet and emulsion tube. Idle / tip in circuit appears to be working as bike will idle (which it didn’t before). Looks like high speed circuit has a blockage somewhere.

Will check airflow and fuel channels in the carb for blockage or dirt.

Fingers crossed I find the issue.

Any other areas I might be missing?

Carb bowl not filling enough or over filling? Flooding the bike?

Thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account