Choke/Starter Cable for Yamaha QT50 is discontinued, what next?

I've recently been restoring a 1984 Yamaha QT50, which overall has been going pretty smoothly, although I've run into one major snag. The choke/starter cable on it is froze up and missing the tip that goes into th carb. I've looked all over ebay, amazon, and even emailed Treatland.tv (they told me to ask around here) and I can't find the right cable anywhere. Theres one on amazon, but its over $40, and in the reviews, it says its still not the correct cable. Does anyone know of a suitable substitute cable I could use, or a way to convert the carb from a manual choke to an automatic (or maybe convert it so theres a choke rod on the top of the carb rather than using a cable)?

Re: Choke/Starter Cable for Yamaha QT50 is discontinued, what next?

What does the tip look like? Pics?

That's a pretty simple chock set up .

Take a look at bicycle cables available from Walmart . 10 bucks for a pack .

You might have to solder your own end on the cable , but that's all of a couple minutes time .

Or reshape an existing cable end ...

Always more than one way around a bush . ;)

You might check a mid 80s Suzuki FA 50 choke cable . Seems like the same set up .

https://www.partspitstop.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3eb1cf8700230d8b4aed2/handlebar

The FA cable has a metal bend . but ...

CABLE, STARTAR 58410-02200 (edited)

This is the best picture I could find of one. On the small end, the metal cylinder is sitting on it's long side where it attaches to the wire.

Yamaha_QT50_Choke_Cable_Good_Used_5-18-19.137124916_std.jpg

Maybe time to make something work .

Fine a cable that's close and 'adjust' it . ;)

Actually that cable looks very close, if not identical to the one I need. I ended up ordering it. Even if it's not perfect I should still be able to make it work. Thanks for your help!

Keep us posted on your progress , please . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account