clutch lever arm/spring

hey guys I just got my first moped (78 Puch Maxi project) and on my first day working on it I already screwed something up. I have lots of experience working on cars but not on mopeds. I removed the clutch lever arm to remove some gunk and learned it was a bad idea because the spring came untensioned and the arm won't go back on right. I did some searches afterwards and saw how removing the arm is a bad idea... fortunately i have the clutch cover that comes off but i'm not really sure what to do after I take it off to get the spring/arm back in the correct position. thanks for any assist.

IMG_4755.jpg

Re: clutch lever arm/spring

Unscrew the four screws holding the cover on, you don't have to remove them all the way. All your trans fluid will dump out. Put the arm on like parallel with the edge of the case if that makes sense. Then push the arm forward until you get it to be on the inside of the case. Tighten the cover back down. Put the cable back on. Adjust cable until clutch grabs right. If it doesn't engage, repeat but put the arm on pointing farther away from the motor.

thanks Nick. i'm not clear what loosening the cover is doing? is it helping tension the spring?

Loosening the cover allows you to rotate the clutch shaft without the cam on the bottom engaging the starter plate. So you can get the arm back on in the correct position.

Try it, look down in there. Play with it some. It’s one of those things that makes sense when you do it but hard to see a picture with words.

Tweaker trash /

Yea that’s not good! You should of made a line with sharpie

thanks guys I loosened the screws and can see what you're talking about regarding the cam position. What I'm not understanding is that the arm can only be installed in one position (because the spring only fits one way) and it can only be rotated counterclockwise because the engine case blocks it from rotating clockwise. and when i rotate it ccw the spring tension wants to rotate it clockwise but that is the same direction pulling the clutch lever moves it (the spring tension needs to be pulling the arm counterclockwise). I must be missing something.

IMG_4758.jpg

> andy mendez Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> thanks guys I loosened the screws and can see what you're talking about

> regarding the cam position. What I'm not understanding is that the arm

> can only be installed in one position (because the spring only fits one

> way) and it can only be rotated counterclockwise because the engine case

> blocks it from rotating clockwise. and when i rotate it ccw the spring

> tension wants to rotate it clockwise but that is the same direction

> pulling the clutch lever moves it (the spring tension needs to be

> pulling the arm counterclockwise). I must be missing something.

You aren't missing anything. Loosen those screws on the cover more, skew it slightly, rotate the arm red. Get it past the little hump on the case and you're good to tighten it back down.

thanks for the help. i got the arm back in the correct position and the starter clutch working correctly. i ended up taking the cover and starter plate off to look at the clutch and saw that it had no nut holding it.... (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account