PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

Steve Parsons /

I've cleaned the carb on my barn find PA50 2 (caked in old gas...licensed last in 1982), with help from your cab cleaning tutorial. On the subject of what direction the bowl drain tube points, it says "to the right when bowl assembled" (source: Frankman). Ok....which "right"? Based on direction of airflow thru carb, with carb in it's normal upright position? Or...? The service manual shows it to left, with carb in its normal position. ??? The tutorial say the bowl will go in either position but installed wrong there will be "problems". ???

Thank you!

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

The service manual shows the wrong way. The drain tube does point to the “right”-as in the same side that the choke is on. Hope that helps

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

When a manual says left or right , it assumes you know front from back .

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

Steve Parsons /

Thanks! Ive had problems getting the fuel to flow into the carb, so maybe putting the float bowl installed as pictured may result in interference between float and drain pipe, causing float to stick.

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

Steve Parsons /

Manual does not say left or right....just the drawing

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

The stock hobbit kehlin carbs are finicky as hell. I've been in the position to think I had a fuel flow issues many times when it turned out the carb was just dirty.

They have all sorts of places for shit to hide and I've had completely clean looking kehlins stop fuel flow.

I've got a three step operation now... Clean throughly with compressed air and solvent. Pretend I put it on the bike and it was still fucked up, drink beer...repeat two more times (edited)

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

Emil Kniemel /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> When a manual says left or right , it assumes you know front from back .

I wish they would just say passenger side!

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

> Emil Kniemel Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> I wish they would just say passenger side!

But , there is no passenger side on a bike . ;)

And , most folks kinda know right from left . LOL

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Emil Kniemel Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > I wish they would just say passenger side!

>

> But , there is no passenger side on a bike . ;)

>

> And , most folks kinda know right from left . LOL

Lolol...but is it right or left sitting on it or standing in front of it ??? Leaves questions unanswered ..haha

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Lolol...but is it right or left sitting on it or standing in front of it

> ??? Leaves questions unanswered ..haha

Well , the bike was designed to mostly move in a forward direction and to be sat on facing where we are mostly going . That is the position right and left should be derived from . Hopefully , we know where the front of the machine is . ;) (edited)

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Pops Peds Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Lolol...but is it right or left sitting on it or standing in front of

> it

>

> > ??? Leaves questions unanswered ..haha

>

> Well , the bike was designed to mostly move in a forward direction and

> to be sat on facing where we are mostly going . That is the position

> right and left should be derived from . Hopefully , we know where the

> front of the machine is . ;)

Haha. You might be hopeing too much with some folks ..lol..too much to think about

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Haha. You might be hopeing too much with some folks ..lol..too much to

> think about

Ha . Seems that process may be totally absent in at least a few cases . ;)

Re: PA50 carb bowl drain direction...

Steve Parsons /

Okay....found the reason the carb bowl drainvalve should be on the right side of the carb when installed on the engine ("right side"= with you sitting on bike, going forward)...the drain screw can be accessed with a screw driver thru a hole behind the pedal sprocket! It can't if assembled on left side. I was especially pleased to find this hole, as the dummy who assembled the carb forgot to tighten the drain screw!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account