1980 Puch Maxi horn wiring

Good morning. Again I ask you to bear with my lack of knowledge. I looked at Wiki pages and read about blue/black wiring to horn and brown ground wiring. I realized there are no wires coming out of my horn. I am attaching some pix- could the covered wires I am holding be the wiring I need to plug into the horn?

Also is there a way I can hook up the horn to an old External battery just to test if it is working? If so, what voltage battery?

Thank you!

Re: 1980 Puch Maxi horn wiring

Get a low cost multimeter or a battery powered continuity tester and test the wires with it. learning to read a wiring diagram will really help a lot.

Did I forget the pix? Think I did:

0E644605-9597-4BA8-8D64-15032D036985.jpeg
E8AFA462-1BF5-4FD8-96FE-B2B005FDB430.jpeg
B6FB53AF-8FF5-4E81-8DCE-316442DBDC52.jpeg

Someone bypassed the horn. pull the wires out of the adapter and see if they still have the female connectors on them then plug into the horn. Bet the switch is bad and they did this.

another idea- get on Amazon and get a $13 lithium horn- very loud and rechargeable USB port. Makes several obnoxious sounds but effective. Hooks to handlebars with vinyl straps, no tools needed

Update- neighbor came over and we tested circuit. We plugged black/blue into horn along with brown ground wire. Bike started and so did horn continuously! We took wires out of horn and that killed engine! I guess the wiring is all messed up. Here are a couple pix if the wiring hub- that’s not original correct?. I’ll have to refer to wiring Diagram on Wiki and check all circuits... oh well. For now lights work... can buy horn on amazon ....

45682E8D-FF9C-4508-B66F-6DCBD6C66670.jpeg
4788D474-2D41-4C3B-9E15-DCA824F03129.jpeg

The circuit needs the horn plugged in or the by-pass for the ped to run. Check the switch.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Puch has the horn in the ground side of the primary ignition circuit. The horn switch is a normally closed switch.

The switch is wired in parallel to the horn.

Under normal operation the primary side of the ignition gets its ground through the normally closed horn switch. When the horn switch is depressed, the circuit gets its ground through the horn, which produces that annoying gurgling wheezing sound From the horn.

If the horn switch is bad, the horn will sound continuously.

Just leave the wires as they were and yell at people if you feel the urge to.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account