The mystery of the revival brake caliper

I cannot for the life of me attach the caliper back on my revival front end. I have all the parts it came with (first picture is how it was mounted and working before I moved the setup to a new bike. Everything lines up perfect until I put the wheel on. The caliper bottoms out on the disc, in the center between the pads and I loose about a half inch. What am I doing wrong? It should have been a simple swap over. Nothing was changed, I'm not missing parts

Screenshot_20200624-220458.png

Re: The mystery of the revival brake caliper

When I mount it this is where it sits

IMG_20200624_220815.jpg

Where my thumb is is where it's bottoming out on the disk preventing me from mounting it. Dead center, it's hitting the disk. What do?

IMG_20200624_221529_01.jpg

I have removed all of the internals to eliminate them being the problem. I am just working with the caliper housing right now and it still does not fit the way it did when I pulled it off

that's even wo the pads on?

it has to go back on, physically impossible, maybe screw the top bolt on loosely and swing down.

The housing of the caliper does not allow the wheel to go on if it's bolted on. It hits the disc

is this just a facotr of the side to side play? or wheel spacing?

On one hand I could see this being an issue if you bungled your wheel spacers

on the other, your caliper should have some side to side float. this allows the fixed side to be perssed on on side while the other side clamps against it tight. maybe you just need to slide the caliper over on the pins?

Reading the original post, before looking at the pictures, I thought that it would be obvious to measure the fork lug position to make sure that the fork sliders are identical. Then looking at the pictures it looks to me like these are two different calipers. Is this the case? Or is it just different fork sliders? (edited)

theres probably a clip jambbed up there.

So you swapped a complete disc brake front end from one bike to another

Lets tick off the list of parts that came from the old bike to the new.

1. The lower fork tubes

2. The wheel

3. The rotor

4. The caliper

Those are not the same fork tubes.

Obviously the caliper mounts are not the same distance from center.

If you’re dead set on making it work, find a rotor with a smaller diameter that will fit.

todd amundson /

Deal with this from time to time. This is a 23$ set up that comes with handle, line, and caliper. Cut a small plate and make it work.

IMG_1203.JPG

I think the early Tomos AJP will fit those tubes you got, not the Grimeca.

IMG_1201.JPG

Great! now lets talk about that gold fender.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account