Brand new to Mopeds- questions about fixing old Puch Maxi

Hello! I am new to Mopeds and all brands. Looking to buy my first. I am looking at a Puch Maxi, appears to be late 1970's to early 1980's, but it is not currently running. Looks to have been stored nicely in a basement- no rust, and intact, (without close inspection yet). Tires look decent and hold air. Looks like it has close to 3000 miles on it.

What would be a fair price to offer as I would then have to spend money to fix it. And is it expensive to fix one of these? My apologies if this is a dumb question- I realize it could be anything and everything that is wrong. Also, Anything I can do when I look at it to see if I need to replace the entire engine? I am not experience in small engine repair but am willing to get my hands dirty and learn!

Thanks, Mike

Re: Brand new to Mopeds- questions about fixing old Puch Maxi

This is a complicated thing to answer. I imagine several posts are being composed as I write this.

Does the engine turn over easily?

Two screws to take off flywheel cover. Take it off and turn engine over by hand. It should be smooth. You should have difficulty getting past the compression as the piston travels to the head.

While you’re turning the flywheel, go back and forth a few times. You don’t want to hear clicking or slack in the crank bearing, connecting rod stuff. I guess thats not a perfect description, but if it’s sounds really rough, I’d argue that with the seller.

If the internals of the engine are not ruined and the thing just won’t start, it shouldn’t be very expensive to get it going. Maybe free if it just needs cleaned and tuned.

Price range varies wildly. Is the asking price over $500? Can you post a pic? Moped price is kinda how bad you want it. I never paid more than $100 for a moped.

there is a wiki on how to buy a moped.

Michael Winn /

Hi, yeah I knew there was no easy answer to this. But here is the picture of it.

thanks again! Oh, yes he is asking over $500.

Puch Maxi.jpg

That looks like a nice $100, not running, maxi.

If you check the engine out and it has problems. No compression or sounds rough. Then less.

If the seller won’t budge, tell them to get it to run and call you back. Even in perfect running condition, it’s not worth $500. Looks like it has cosmetic issues too. The luggage rack is bent from passengers riding it and the throttle grip seems to be missing.

I know it sucks, because some dope might buy it out from under you before the seller brings the price down.

Michael Winn /

Thanks, yeah, I don't mind if it gets sold. I think the price he is asking for a non-running Maxi is kinda crazy. If not this one, there will be another! Thanks again all.

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Here's a handy blog post:

> https://detroitmopedworks.com/what-is-my-moped-worth/

There's a bit of a conflict of interests in that post, though, isn't there? Also some of that is just not true. For example :

If they have the ability to accurately diagnose that, they would have the ability to do those things and double or triple the value of their moped.

This doesn't take into account burnout and/or laziness.

Pushrod Fifty /

No more than 150.00 if its not running. You will spend 400.00 in parts and 100 man hours after your done putting it right. Check for rust in the tank. If its rusty, you have to strip the bike to the bare frame to be able to completely clean it.

Michael Winn /

Thanks all, you've talked me out of it! I can now say he was asking $750!! I told him I couldn't come near that price and bowed out. I think that is crazy for a non running moped.

No fork brace either

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account