Re: Power issues on any sort of incline

Mark Kinsler /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Carburetor cleaner seems to be a regional sort of substance, like fine wine. I think the stuff sold in California lacks the aggressive solvents required to dissolve the worst of the crud out of the pivots of a grandfather clock. At least that's what I've used it for, though only in emergency situations, for it's a poor way to clean a clock.

As suggested, however, a non-flammable brake cleaner will be equally effective in detecting a vacuum leak, for it'll simply slow or stop the engine.

Full disclosure: it took me years to find a dumb vacuum leak that plagued the engine of my beloved (and under external restoration) 1964 Econoline van. Some things are not apparent to even the most mechanically-woke mind, especially if it's on your own truck. (It was a bad PCV valve hose. Sheesh.)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account