Bianchi Eagle 30 - 1977-1979 - Petcock

Michael Branscombe /

anyone know if the petcock on these things has a valve in it? took it out to clean up - had gas sitting in it for 20 years. It seems like it should be cleaned out enough for gas to flow down through the petcock, but it doesn't - has me wondering if there is a check valve in it?

Re: Bianchi Eagle 30 - 1977-1979 - Petcock

Most moped petcocks can't be or aren't worth fixing. Figure out the thread size and pick up a new one from the usual sources.

Michael Branscombe /

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Most moped petcocks can't be or aren't worth fixing. Figure out the

> thread size and pick up a new one from the usual sources.

I hear ya. I just like to make as many of the old parts work again as possible. It is part of the fun to me to make an old thing work again.

if u take it apart u can usually get them all cleared up, brake cleaner, compressed air, small drill bits, picks, etc. But the kicker is after u make sure everything is spotless, all cleaned up, even flipped the rubber washer, put it together and it still leaks. Can't buy that rubber washer separate either, so you end up buying a new one.

Michael Branscombe /

cleaned it up, still sediment in the tank clogging it again, but it is off the Moped so pretty easy to work on. doesn't leak, flow is kind of a medium slow drip. think I'll flush it out a couple more times, and run with it as long as it is moving gas.

It should be a flow of fuel , not just a drip , of any speed .

Michael Branscombe /

cleaned it up again better, flushed rust out of tank again, also better - not perfect, but way better. might have time to set it up back on moped and test tank and petcock again tomorrow.

I think if one was so inclined it would be relatively simple to cut a new little rubber washer by hand. kind of like an easy arts and crafts type work. since this is fresh in my mind, the pieces to keep track of are

* the washer that fits between the petcock and the tanks. a basic washer, could probably get a new one at any hardware store for .15 cents if leaking

inside the petcock

* the rubber washer with the 3 holes

* then a small metal washer with a couple toes that keep it from turning

* the piece that rotates and directs the flow for the holes next

* a relatively strong spring

* behind the little arm of the handle that fits into the slot in the direction flow piece is what looks like a nylon washer

fit slot on gas flow piece to slot on handle piece - and tighten down, the spring pressure makes this a little tricky

think this was all the pieces. It didn't seem to leak, so was worth taking a shot at cleaning it up again.

do u have the filter that goes up into the tank? n the little straw?

Michael Branscombe /

the part that fits up in the tank is like a straw surrounded by a little plastic sheath, but there's no filter on the sheath. may have been one originally - like a screen filter, but not now if there ever was one.

the above sequence is wrong - the little metal washer with the toes, goes in after the piece that directs the fuel flow to the holes.

you have the plastic cage but not the filter part. its a rolled up fine mesh that filters crap before it clogs your petcock.

Michael Branscombe /

> pat splat Wrote:

> you have the plastic cage but not the filter part. its a rolled up fine

> mesh that filters crap before it clogs your petcock.

Does anyone sell that part? or would I have to make one?

> Michael Branscombe Wrote:

> > pat splat Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > you have the plastic cage but not the filter part. its a rolled up

> fine

>

> > mesh that filters crap before it clogs your petcock.

>

> Does anyone sell that part? or would I have to make one?

AFAIK , not just the filtering screen .

I have seen whole in tank filters available , but they may have been different sizes .

A very effective 'trick' I've used on more than one occasion when the tube without filtering screen happens :

Simply cut a length of old T shirt hem , twice as long as the tube . Slip the hem , which is actually a tube of fairly fine cotton or such , over the filter-less tube and the extra length gets slipped over the reserve tube of the petcock .

No need to fasten the hem to the tubes as they seem to cling very nicely to the 'new' home(s) .

Then reinstall the petcock and enjoy an inexpensive and very effect filter . ;)

Dave Thacker /

If it's a removable tank, drop in a big hand full of nuts and shake shack it for a while. Get all the crap knocked loose. Don't forget to remove.

Michael Branscombe /

> Dave Thacker Wrote:

> If it's a removable tank, drop in a big hand full of nuts and shake

> shack it for a while. Get all the crap knocked loose. Don't forget to

> remove.

I totally did this. At first with just some fresh mixed gas and a handful of nuts and bolts and washed tank out. It plugged petcock again almost immediately when I tried to test it.

I went back at it again with Vinegar and more bolts. So much mess and chunks of rust came out, think I did it 4 times over 4 days, rinsed tank out each time, each time just more crud out of tank. The last time, very little came out, but there is still rust in the tank, but I've been running it for a few days and it hasn't clogged again yet, so - it is working for my purposes for now.

Michael Branscombe /

with the gas line disconnected working on the carb, I observed he petcock slow dripping like a drip about once a minute. today noticed gas on top of the head below the carb, think it is slow leaking out from the little plastic banjo fuel intake connection. Don't think it is cracked, might try installing those gaskets with a little grease on them to see if they seal better ..

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account