Turning my crank for flywheel placement

I read the wiki on it. I used the compound and ground down for two rounds... do I need more? Is this far enough. It's my first time, be gentle.

And thanks.

1590108326091487183383456549357.jpg

Re: Turning my crank for flywheel placement

Nothing.... noone? I want sure if I could go too far really so I'll just do another go at it just to make sure. I want this to be the last time I set the flywheel position for the timing.

Thanks all!

Am I understanding you correctly ?

You only turned the flywheel twice on the crank ? Two times around the crank ?

From all the crank lappings I've seen , that's not near enough .

It doesn't look like the flywheel and crank are making full taper contact .(edited)

ASAP! Did two rounds of the lapping. Each round consisted of 12 full turns each direction for a total of 48 turns between the two rounds.

But yes I noticed the same but since it is my first time doing it I wanted to get some other opinions from folks more familiar. I will do a couple more rounds and see if I can get the surfaces to look like they are mating better.

Is there a better trick to this? Right now I am using a piston stop to hold my piston and turning the flywheel while pushing in and holding as much pressure against everything while I do the turns.

Thanks for the help!

48 ... much better than 2 .

Normally lapping involves applying pressure while performing back and forth action for best results , rather than all in one direction .

What's on the other end of the crankshaft ?(edited)

Wesley Ambrosini /

Just do it till it fits snug.

I've lapped until putting the flywheel on and giving it a nice knock with a rubber mallet basically locks it in without the nut.

> Wesley Ambrosini Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just do it till it fits snug.

>

> I've lapped until putting the flywheel on and giving it a nice knock

> with a rubber mallet basically locks it in without the nut.

Thanks wes!

PD. The other side is the clutch side and full of oil and covered up right now. I was thinking of draining and locking down the clutch to be able to lap easier.

Thanks again for the helpful ideas!

Pushrod Fifty /

The crank and flywheel taper surfaces should be cleaned separately with fine emery if they are rough. Lapping a taper fit will result in two different angles as it looks like in your pic as there is no way to keep the compound uniform over that broad of an area.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> The crank and flywheel taper surfaces should be cleaned separately with

> fine emery if they are rough. Lapping a taper fit will result in two

> different angles as it looks like in your pic as there is no way to keep

> the compound uniform over that broad of an area.

I have found this to be very true. I unfortunately am going back to the points as I have not been successful at getting the two surfaces to mate secure enough to not slip almost immediately. Thanks again for all of the help. I may attempt this again at some point. For now I need to ride!

Pietcard on a Garelli NOI?

Yeah. Not great. But no one else had tried. Now we know it didnt work for me.

Yay mopeds! ;j

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> Yeah. Not great. But no one else had tried. Now we know it didnt work

> for me.

>

> Yay mopeds! ;j

The pietcard works good on the noi with either the 2013 or 2041 box. I prefer the 2041 box because of the timing curve. I've always had to slot the stator though to run with the key.

FB_IMG_15794635145186545.jpg
FB_IMG_15794634955087637.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account