Tomos running issues still

When I start the moped on choke it revs full throttle and if I open the choke it dies. I can keep it running by just opening the choke a little bit when you give it gas it bogs out and then catches. Things I’ve done : cleaned tank, new petcock, new plug, cleaned carburetor 3 times and still the same. I order a new carb since there cheap but I really don’t think it’s the issue since it’s clean as clean can be. I got this moped with this issue it does have a performance exhaust. Person said it was running great but just died and and he couldn’t get it running right since.

Re: Tomos running issues still

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Reeds or seal make sure you suck.

Compression. Make sure it blows too.

Took reeds out and cleaned them up. They are sitting flush, two teeth facing into the engine, sprayed carb cleaner around carburetor, reeds , cylinder ect ( while running ) and nothing changes. Starts on choke but revs full throttle so I cover the carburetor with my hand and just leave a very little open and it sits and idles. Well I have a carburetor coming Friday so that’s next.

Gee , maybe try running an air filter ?

Tried that ( stock one ) no difference

classic air leak, if it aint your intake then, it crank seals, case seal, base gasket seal, or head seal, find it, is your exhaust plugged?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You didn't run a wire file through the floatpin hole to clear that or didn't check the holes on ventri tube.

Is there gas in the float bowl. Is the jet itself clogged.

Yes I tore the carburetor apart and soaked then uses my carburetor wire set to clean them all then blew air through them. It starts right up with the choke on but revs full throttle so I shut the choke and it dies. Run the choke 3/4 closed and it idles nice but when you give it throttle it bogs down the catches and revs up. I have a new carburetor coming tomorrow so I’ll try that. So new plug, new petcock and tank is spotless, reeds look good and sitting flush so all that’s left is change the carburetor.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Sounds like an airleak or clogged. Fuel delivery. It revs when choked its a big airleak.

I sprayed everywhere’s with carburetor cleaner and nothing. You talking internally? Seals ?

Thanks

Well new carburetor came in and I threw it on and it runs without the choke on, starts one kick but still has a extremely high idle. Runs good driving it but it’s just the high idle now. I can adjust the screw until it comes out and still no difference but if I turn it in it revs even higher. One thing I did find is now when I spray carburetor cleaner on the top parts of the carb it revs up and then dies. It’s a brand new carburetor and the top gasket is in. I’m ready to put it out front with a for sale sign. Clean tank, new petcock, new fuel lines, new carb. Wtf It’s much better but the high idle sucks.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Cable adjuster on cable dude

I loosen the cable itself right at the throttle. the flat head screw but I’ll unhook it totally tomorrow to see what happens.

With the air filter off of the carb you can see the slide in it. Make sure it is all the way down when making your throttle cable adjustment. If you re-used your old throttle cable it may have been a touch too short for your new carb.

But your description screams airleak someplace. What about the exhaust? Grab a good thick crush gasket to seal it up good.

Did compression test and it’s sitting at 160 psi with no leak down. Did notice the exhaust was missing a nut on one side so I’m grabbing one and some lock washers

You did re-jet and tune the carb right?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Are you premixing

Bought a brand new stock one. Did compression it’s 160 psi and holds. It starts and runs great no bogging but when you stop you need to hold both brakes in.

Yes and even bought the premix in the can 50:1

> Brian Terrell Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yes and even bought the premix in the can 50:1

Gaaahhh. Dont run that. It is hardly ok to run that in RC cars. Mix your own 2stroke oil into some fresh gas.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Stock with an airbox and filter <60 jet did you block off injector hole in intake or it doesn't have one.

Brand new stock carbs don't come jetted for your bike. No carb does.

After market carb with the plastic shorty filter. I ordered new reeds and gaskets. No clue what it came with for jet. Does have a aftermarket pipe ( loud annoying one ). Lol

I agree sounds like he needs to move his throttle slide back some cable Short

The slide is going all the way down.

Michael Branscombe /

I don't know that machine, but can't you adjust the throttle cable down more to drop the idle?

Yes and I did and still high. I sprayed a lot off carb cleaner around the reeds and the idle went higher so definitely a air leak so I got the kit with the reed and two gaskets. Coming in from treats in a few days. Hopefully that will solve it.

Well if you don't tackle the jetting your gonna seize your engine.

Since the oil and gas are mixed, it's kinda important for lubrication.

What size jet are you thinking with the performance pipe on it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account