My new 89 Brown Bullet A3 won’t start? Could use help with some

Jeremiah Johnson /

Hello everyone and thank you for your time, I just bought this little moped which I thought would be simple however I cannot get it to start. When I first got it home there was no spark. I read another thread where someone mentioned disconnecting all the electrical except for the black wire from the fly wheel keeping that going to the coil and grounding the blue wire to the frame. Which I did. Now when I hold the spark plug against the head I now have spark but it still doesn’t crank. When I do a compression check with the throttle fully opened it maxes out around 110 psi. Also the spark plug is wet with fuel. I also sprayed starting fluid in the carb and the bike wouldn’t even begin to turnover. It’s like it’s not even Igniting at all. I’m wondering if the compression is too low, or if somehow I don’t have enough ignition.

I took the carburetor off and apart to inspect and I did not see anything to alarming. I’m wondering if the bike will start with all of the electrical disconnected except for the coil in the blue wire from the magneto grounded. I’ve added a picture

I’d appreciate any feedback as I’m learning about this bike.

186B3E24-3155-4761-BE06-722C92427366.jpeg

Re: My new 89 Brown Bullet A3 won’t start? Could use help with some

Jeremiah Johnson /

I will add that the guy I bought it from changed out the coil due to no spark so the coil in the pic is aftermarket. Once I got the wiring disco,d except the black to coil and blue grounded and saw spark then I put the original coil back on and saw that it also had spark. To make things more complicated when I tested both could with an ohm test the high side of the original coil failed with zero ohms on the K ohm setting so I put the aftermarket one back on. Anyway none of that made a difference in getting the motor to ignite the fuel in the slightest way. I’m trying to narrow down my troubleshooting to compression, fuel, or spark. Thanks again my NEW friends :)

Outside chance you have a blown crank seal. 110 psi is fine. Usually the seal that goes first is under the points/stator plate. Easy to replace.

Jeremiah Johnson /

Don’t know, how would I be able to check that?

having spark is most of the battle, you have that

having 110 compression is good, you have that

that leaves fuel and timing.

timing probably hasn't changed by itself

so its fuel. clean carb, clean carb, add new gas n fuel filter.

try a new plug, squirt some gas in plug hole and attempt to start, should atleast pop.

to check if crank seal is no good. take a look in your flywheel slots with flash light and look for any any any sign of wetness or grimy greeseiness. if so its blown even though it looks good.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Blue wire to ground from tail

Blue black from magneto to ground.

Btw it's sunburst not brown.

Jeremiah Johnson /

Roger that, Sunburst it is! Lovin the help here with the new toy. Just wish it had some combustion.

I have drained the tank and ran some normal ethanol free straight gas through the tank (about 1/4 gal) just to clean the tank, which it needed from the looks of the drained gas. Then put back in 40:1 ratio and drained some Of that out just to be safe.

Will say the carb is questionable as it’s leaking fuel as if the float isn’t working properly. I took the carb apart without a rebuild kit and cleaned it. Still leaks though. I’m debating getting another carb or rebuilding it. It looks pretty simple to rebuild.

Even with the crab questionable i would have thought I could hear combustion when I sprayed starting fluid in the back of the carb which I didn’t.

One question i has was how do I set my air/fuel mix screw? I can’t find anything on that. I took it all the way out to inspect but forgot to count the amounts of turn nor know if it was right to begin with.

Thanks a lot again everyone. I’ve never participated in a forums but I’m really enjoying talking to others who know about this bike. It’s priceless!! I’ll look at the seal tomorrow but was wondering how you get to it. I guess I got to take off the kick start and recoil spring?

I’ve never messed with points so has anyone seen a video of this?

Jeremiah Johnson /

I have all the wires going to the tail (rear of bike) disconnected totally. Do I need to connect anything other than the black from stator to coil and blue from stator to ground in order to get the bike to turn over?

I literally have all wiring disconnected except the black and blue from stator/magneto/flywheel.

Just wanted to make sure the motor should turn over with just this connected.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yep needs the lights that's why if you don't reroute the blue and blue black to the frame it won't idle right it could also be the reason it won't start.

Jeremiah Johnson /

Sorry, not following. Your saying I need to hook the lights up to have the engine run even though I have spark?

When I hook up the blue to the front wiring harness I don’t get spark on the plug, that’s why I disco’d the entire front wire set (Black, Yellow, Blue) that goes to the kill switch and break lever switch’s. I did test the black wire going to kill and it’s fine as it’ reads open on Run and ground on stop.

I haven’t trouble shot why I lose spark when I hook up my blue wire that goes to my break lever switch as I was just trying to see if the bike would crank.

Might want to go ahead and replace the condenser. I've got the same bike that I just got running, it had spark while testing but wouldn't start when I put the plug back in. Threw a new condenser on and it started right up.

You do not need any electrical hooked up other than the blue and black wires for the coil/ground. This is one gremlin of a bike. It would make you life easier if it was the pedal version of this bike. Kicking it is tough cuz you only get one good revolution each time.

The leaky carb is most likely a bad float needle. Cheap and easy fix.

Jeremiah Johnson /

Great insight, do you have the part/link for that condenser? I don’t think I’ve ever changed one so are there any good instructions or videos you’ve seen? Not even sure where it is or the symbol on a wiring diagram. This bike is strange cuz all the wiring diagrams I’ve seen do NOT include the 1989 year. Is it the same as other years? Which diagram should I use? I’m going to look. Thanks so much BTW

Jeremiah Johnson /

Ok, will look at getting a needle or rebuild carb kit. I’m still needing to know how to set my air/fuel mix screw though. Anyone able to help with that?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The safety feature on the ht coil needs to be bypassed. It requires all lights working unless bypassed. The blue black is the taillights return ground That has an 8 ohm resistor in the housing.

I said my piece good luck get a wiring diagram off the wiki.

Jeremiah Johnson /

Hang on please. I appreciate your experience, I’m trying to take all this in. So you recommend hooking all the lights up and original wiring before the engine will run/start or can I start with just bypassing the HT coil as mentioned and if so how do you bypass it? An explaination of how to wire should help. Thanks so much again

Can you explain how to bypass the HT

Jeremiah Johnson /

Pic here shows I ohm-Ed the tail light resistor and got 7.2, however I also discovered the tail light bulb is blown and the R side of the resistor (Red VOM led) lost its solder and therefore isn’t making contact. I am having to try to find a bulb and NEW tips for my solder gun.

Will the motor run if you have a dang taillight go out?

image.jpg

Jeremiah Johnson /

Sorry, got 6.2 ohms

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yep just put the wires to the frame the blue. blublk. To bypass.

Pick one. https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Tomos_wiring_diagrams

Jeremiah Johnson /

Ok, got the tail light soldered back and all the wiring hooked up and I have spark when I rest the plug against the head but..... but.... I don’t get any flash on the NEW spark plug ignition tester I bought. Almost like I don’t have “enough” energy. Also I’ll add that the motor still won’t ignite fuel.

I am trying to see how to get the magneto cover off as it appears I may need a gear puller to get the kick start lever off as it’s blocking it.

Jeremiah Johnson /

Any insight to that air/mix screw setting?

Jeremiah Johnson /

How does this black cover get off? Seems to be tied to the chrome chain sprocket disk. Do I have to get a gear pulled and pull off the kick start and recoil? Hope not that would be stupid

image.jpg

Jeremiah Johnson /

Do you recall the steps it took to get to the condenser, test it to show it needed replacement then how to swap?

Jeremiah Johnson /

Also, where did you get the condenser? Can you provide a link to the one you bought and it worked? Thanks

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Auto parts 70's gm or Volkswagen.you need the right flywheel puller.

Jeremiah Johnson /
image.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The regulator should be a green and metal square block with three terminals and a central mounting hole which is ground.

Yellow from magneto to reg box on one of the two poles next to each other. They arei nterchangable. The black from magneto goes to the ht coil trigger. Blu blk to frame.

He% a pic of your wiring.

With the throttle wide open. The idle screw all the way in them back off 4 1/2 turns that is factory idle setting sha do not have a mix screw.

Jeremiah Johnson /

Ok, got it except I cannot find the dang regulator box anywhere on this 1989 bullet. Wiring seems Minimal as the coil And points/condenser is in the middle of the circuit with wiring going to the taillight and one other cable bundle going up to the horn, Speedo light, headlight and handlebar breaks/kill switch, horn switch. I can’t find this box anywhere. Maybe someone before me removed it? Does it normally sit up near the headlamp?

Also, The pic of my wiring didn’t come through, can you please resend it? Thanks so much, if anyone was near FL, I’d get ya lunch! Much appreciations for helping me.

I’m wondering also if there is a manual I should look into getting?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account