Tires glued to rim

I recently got a Puch Murray! Both tires were super worn and neither were keeping air. I removed them from the moped and was getting frustrated because the tires themselves weren't coming off. After cutting one open, I've found out they're glued on? I've looked through videos and haven't found anything similar to what's been done to these wheels. Any recommendations on how to remove the adhesive from the rims?

Re: Tires glued to rim

You run into all sorts of shade-tree tweaker crack-pottery in the world of mopeds. I think it's part of the fun sometimes!

What type of adhesive did they use? Does it look like an epoxy? Best bet is to try to identify what they used then research the best way to remove it. Razorblades and nail polish remover are some household items you could start with.

try, gas, carb cleaner, whatever solvent you have, heat gun and leather gloves so you don't poke yourself.

Ha . And , here I thought I'd heard/seen everything .

I've seen a few solid rubber 'tires' glued to rims , but , those were meant as permanent and to be replaced as a single unit .

Pushrod Fifty /

Could have been fix a flat spray. Heat gun should soften it enough to scrape off.

I live in town and could help ya out if ya need pm me

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You run into all sorts of shade-tree tweaker crack-pottery in the world

> of mopeds. I think it's part of the fun sometimes!

>

> What type of adhesive did they use? Does it look like an epoxy? Best bet

> is to try to identify what they used then research the best way to

> remove it. Razorblades and nail polish remover are some household items

> you could start with.

This^.

Kelsey, you failed to mention if said wheels are wire spoke or aluminum mag wheels. I'm assuming that they are aluminum mag since they can be run "tubeless". With tubeless its imperative that the tire seals to the rim or you will have leaks. In this case the sealing lip or edge of the wheel must be smooth and clean without pitting from oxidation. If there are pits or other flaws then "bead sealer" is designed to be used to fill in the irregularities on the rim before mounting the tire. Bead sealer is basically liquid rubber in a can with a brush attached to the screw on lid. It can be removed fairly easy or coated over a second time.

I have an old two wheeled dolly that has plastic wheels. After struggling to keep air in the tires for more than an hour at a time, I used contact cement instead of bead sealer. That was all I had lying around and I was in a hurry to complete a moving job. As you can imagine it worked for a year or so then I had to take them back apart to remove the cement and apply bead sealer. In my case I think the plastic wheels were flexing and letting the air out. There were no imperfections or pits on the sealing surface of those wheels. Bead sealer can be bought by the can at most automotive parts stores. The can I bought recently was $12 and more than enough to last a life time on many many wheels.(edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account