E50 Stud Troubles

Hawthorne Swan-Scott /

I swear these studs will be the death of me, so I noticed that one of the cylinder studs bolts was stripped so I re-ordered new cylinder studs I believe they were DMP M6's. Long short every time I have tried to tighten the new screws the entire screw comes out with it. I am using M6 coupling nuts that fit a little tight on the studs rather than regular nuts just because they are a little stronger and tend not to stripe as easy.

Any help would be appreciated or tips on how to keep the studs locked in place or what I could do to stop this.

Re: E50 Stud Troubles

If anything stripped, it was the threads in the case. Not the stud.

Aluminum is way softer than steel.

So, you need to repair the case.

Hawthorne Swan-Scott /

So you think that the case is stripped? I can screw the stud bolts into the case with them being really tight but it seems the coupling threads start to just unscrew the stud bolts from the case because they are oppositely threaded

I am not sure what you’re talking about. I have had E50s. The cylinder studs just thread into the case. I use double nuts to let me tighten them in. Then take the double nuts off and everything is good to go.

Are you saying that the stud backs out when trying to take the coupling nuts off after installing the stud?

If you use double nut to do that job, you can hold both with 2x wrenches and get them off without backing the stud out.

Nothing is wrong with the case threads if that’s what going on. Sorry for the confusion.

Hawthorne Swan-Scott /

It's the strangest thing but when I tighten the studs into the case they are screwed in tight, but after I assemble the engine when I am tightening all the nuts the studs will start to just unscrew themselves. I want to almost epoxy the studs bolts into the case holes although I know that's a bad idea if I was to even need to get rid of those studs

I’m going back to my original thought again.

If you try to tighten a nut and the stud pulls out, sounds like the case is stripped.

Maybe a pic of the stud and the case hole would help.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, the only way tightening the nuts would loosen a stud is if the case side was miffed.

The two ends of the stud are not opposite thread, so that can't be the case.

Don't epoxy your studs in, that's a pretty short-sighted solution.

Pushrod Fifty /

Never would studs have a left hand thread on one end. Bring the cases to a machine shop and have helicoils installed. Has to be done in a milling machine to get an exact hole location and right angle or the studs will be on an angle or worse the hole will be too deep and the crank case will be breached.

As many heli-coils as I have installed , never has a machine shop been involved .

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> As many heli-coils as I have installed , never has a machine shop been

> involved .

Me neither. The new hole and helicoil are usually as straight and true as the original hole is, just because it guides the drill and tap.

Pushrod Fifty /

Skill level dependent for sure. But for someone unfamiliar with metalworking, best of luck.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> Skill level dependent for sure. But for someone unfamiliar with

> metalworking, best of luck.

Definitely . Attention to detail is paramount . ;)

Heli coils are hella easy. Just take your time. And I hate studs on my engine cylinders. I just put in bolts. Always seems easier than making things line up right on them studs.

Pushrod Fifty /

The studs do help to hold the cylinder in position, I

Like to have the piston mounted and just pinch the rings while sliding the cylinder over it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> Heli coils are hella easy. Just take your time. And I hate studs on my

> engine cylinders. I just put in bolts. Always seems easier than making

> things line up right on them studs.

You replace your top end studs with bolts? Eww.

I wouldn’t recommend replacing studs with bolts.

Not only is it less convenient, but a lot of wear and tear on those case threads.

Not saying it’s “wrong”. However, the risk doesn’t outweigh the reward.

Pushrod Fifty /

Studs are made so that they stretch with torquing and heat, there is a big big engineering element to the design.

I totally forgot about that ^ 100% correct.

Car head bolts are 1 time use do to the stretch.

This is also why some people have their head rattling loose all the time. Over 40 years of torquing over and over has maxed out the elastic properties of the studs. No stretch means the heat cycle and vibration turns those nuts off.

So yeah, studs. New studs even better.

Pushrod Fifty /

Juat dont buy the goofy left hand threaded ones.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account