Waiting for a new ignition. How do I hotwire 79 PA50i?

Brice Brubaker /

Waiting for a new ignition in the mail. Want to hotwire in order to see if I have a spark. Right now the ignition cable where it screws into the boot is also questionable. Any advice would be great! -Thank you.

IMG_20200509_150109.jpg

Re: Waiting for a new ignition. How do I hotwire 79 PA50i?

Check out the wiring diagram in the wiki. Looks like the switch grounds the coil to kill the engine. So you could just pull the kill wire off the coil itself I think to hotwire it.

Barack Obama /

Hot wire

73650C09-3815-4268-80C1-A92D17F3F877.jpeg

Brice Brubaker /

Where is the secondary coil? Sorry newb here!

15891430349477831720802555612336.jpg

Follow the plug wire back .

Brice Brubaker /

Last question. How about the condensor? I think I am confusing that with the secondary coil now. Thanks for your help Prez! I dont like wasting peoples time, I am trying to learn.

connect both the wires where the key switch was, you are now "hot". bike does not need the switch to run.

Brice Brubaker /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> connect both the wires where the key switch was, you are now "hot". bike

> does not need the switch to run.

What do you mean by both wires? which color ones? The guy above gave me a diagram of 3 different wires.

Brice Brubaker /

Getting a few different answers here. Sorry I am such a noob to wiring these things. (edited)

It's alright. Your just not familiar with moped electrics. You'll figure it out.

What Barack was showing you is the absolute least wiring needed to get spark. It's a hand written diagram not a schmatic. The condenser is just a capacitor, it's a little cylindrical doodad behind the flywheel on the stator.

What Stephen is telling you is just remove the key switch and connect the two wires that plug into it. That will effectively put the bike in run permanently. So you'll need to use the kill switch on the bar to shut the bike off until you get a key.

Ok I just looked at the scematic..

Connect the black/white wire from the ignition coil(the box the spark plugs wire comes out of) to the black wire from the stator.

Then use the decomp to kill it.

If you still don't have spark clean the points, if still no spark. wire in an external condenser. The condenser wire can attach anywhere on the two connected wires from the step above, and the body of the condenser needs to be grounded to the moped frame..

You can use any car condenser, I get them from AutoZone any condenser with one wire and a grounding strap will work. Think vw beetle...

See those black and white wires in the picture? Disconnect them. Connect the one to the black and yellow wire coming off the ignition coil, the wire runs from the right side of the subframe past the carb. Then connect the other side of the black and white wire to the other side of the black and yellow wire that the ignition coil was plugging in to

Brice Brubaker /

Cha Ching!!! Did this and cleaned my points and shes running!!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account