motobecane crack

Hey guys,

I’m seeking some advice. Ive rebuilt a moby lite and I’ve came to realize that there is a hairline crack at the bottoms of my frame that’s part of the tank so it leaks gas. What can I do to fix this issue? Will this cause my bike to split? Any advice helps!

09DB91A3-0945-4CC4-8489-74DC8F484BB1.jpeg

Re: motobecane crack

He's dead Jim....your frame is structurally compromised. I'd look for a new one if I were you. Or you could weld it and accept that your bike could fold on you.

Also, that's a rust hole. Not a crack. The crack is in the paint, behind it is a hole. I bet you could push a screwdriver right through that.

Junk it, or buy a used frame and put everything else on it. Sorry.

Depending on the overall condition of the rest of the frame , I'd be looking at some reinforcement welded in place on both sides .

Then clean and line the tank with Caswell's tank sealer .

Of course , paint would be involved .

But , at least , you'd know exactly what you have .

once y fix it u can put a cross brace on that pearl white moby to stifen it up.

Stress crack most likely caused by the metal thinning from tank rust. Best resolve if you keep the frame is to grind it well, if it is not weak when probed with a screwdriver then drill stop the crack. Weld the crack up, you would want to consider beefing it up with a patch over it anyhow.

Otherwise cut out the weakened portion and weld in a goodly patch.

ALWAYS add a upper stress bar to a monocoque frame if it has weakened (or if you plan to do any riding over 40mph or want to race the bike). Either a welded in one or a bolt on, though I prefer the welded in one. Make sure the frame is true before you add on the stress bar, if the steering head and seat post is not in vertical alignment, correct that issue first.

Pushrod Fifty /

Find a good frame, you cant weld rusted metal.

It’s not rusted, I got the frame powder coated and that’s just the paint, underneath it’s just a hairline crack. No rust

> Christian Ruelas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It’s not rusted, I got the frame powder coated and that’s just the

> paint, underneath it’s just a hairline crack. No rust

Crack kills.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account