Someone confirm my trouble shooting

I have a 100% stock 1981 tomos silver bullet. It always starts right up and runs great. Last week I was cruising along at around 25 mph when the engine died. I could not get it restarted (good thing it has pedals).

Back home, I checked - got plenty of gas, good gas flow and good spark. It will (after several kicks) start and run on choke. When i give it a little throttle it dies. On these the choke is on the throttle. My guess is the pilot jet is clogged and i need to clean the carb and jet. Does that sound right?

Re: Someone confirm my trouble shooting

Carb clean is a good place to start! If that doesn’t fix it check for air leaks

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Carb clean is a good place to start! If that doesn’t fix it check for

> air leaks

Yup, clean the carb and check for leaks. Coulda lost the crank seals.

One more thing, next time it acts up, have either a spare plug or the plug wrench in hand. Check for spark immediately. Condensors can fail when warmed up. You didnt check for spark til you got home and it would of cooled down by then.

todd amundson /

Sounds like it’s outta gas.

I was just having that that exact problem on my bullet and it turned out to be a bad condensor.

OK, thanks for the advice. I am going to do these in order to see what helps - first clean the air box, second clean the carburetor, then third replace the condenser. I'll post the results.

I took off the carb and cleaned the air filter and carb. Now I find that the black plastic connector piece between the air box and carb does not fit well around the carb. It just does not completely cover and form an airtight seal at the carb intake. See photos. If I just stick it back together and put it on, I know it is going to suck in unfiltered air. Any thoughts?

IMG_2327.jpg
IMG_2326.jpg

You might secure the cap with a zip tie or screw clamp .

Boil the rubber for a while until it expands

Ahh , too small . Maybe you used carb cleaner or some sort of solvent that shrunk the rubber type material .

Anyway , Mike has the right idea . I might add that using wintergreen in that boiling mix might help the elasticity of the material .

Good luck . ;)

Thanks. I bought one for $13 from Mopedjunkyard. The old one must have hardened with age - it was a rigid plastic (not rubber like). I could not get it back on the air box or get the whole thing back together and on. Hopefully the new rubber piece will be flexible enough to work with. TOMOS did not allow any room to work.

So, I got the black connector piece from mopedjunkyard. It fit nice and was flexible enough to install on the air box and carb end. Got it all installed, paused and took a deep breath, then gave it a kick. It started right up and ran fine. So, it appears that cleaning the carb and jet made the difference. Thanks for all the advice.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account