Looks Bent To Me !

Had this one in storage and it's time to fix it. Happened before I got it so I don't know what they hit. Found a good used blue fork set. Not only is it pushed back but it's twisted to the right a little bit also. Main frame is ok as some measurements I made match my unwrecked units.

DSCN0376.JPG

Re: Looks Bent To Me !

I'd think the fork line should follow the neck line , so , yeah , it does look bent .

I have one. Yes its bent to hell. Put on yer big boy pants and remove the fork and put it in a press and straighten it.

Bend it! These babies can take the steess better if you heat before bending.

I had to do this to an 84 QT50.

Heated the neck, slid a bigger pipe over it and wailed on it with a sledge hammer.

Or flip the fork 180 degrees and run into something to bend it back.

Lol. Yes, that would indeed work

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Or flip the fork 180 degrees and run into something to bend it back.

Ha . That might even put a second bend in the rim , you know , to balance it . LOL

For two reasons I replaced it with a good used one. First, it is my first complete teardown of a fork system on a QT so I now know how they're put together and secondly I've straightened a lot of bent stuff over the years and have found even with heat quite often the result ends up having a slightly visible kink or stretch mark. And since many of us have lots of time nowadays might as well "burn some daylight." So I guess it's really 3 reasons.

Matt Emerson /

> Bob Naske Wrote:

> I replaced it with a good used one.

While you've got the old one lying around all naked, could you measure the steering stem length for me? I've been searching around for a definitive answer so I can try and source a triple tree to do a disc brake conversion but all I can find is that "General forks are a drop in replacement, with minor modifications."

> Bob Naske Wrote:

> For two reasons I replaced it with a good used one. First, it is my

> first complete teardown of a fork system on a QT so I now know how

> they're put together and secondly I've straightened a lot of bent stuff

> over the years and have found even with heat quite often the result ends

> up having a slightly visible kink or stretch mark. And since many of us

> have lots of time nowadays might as well "burn some daylight." So I

> guess it's really 3 reasons.

Ive repaired more than my share too @ 55 years old. No heat necessary, just a press and some home made wooden v-blocks. You're only limited by your own mind. No creases, dents, stretch marks, flat spots or peeling of chrome....

20181003_014420.jpg
20181003_021052.jpg
20181003_021938.jpg

When finished it rolled perfectly across the bench top....

20181003_022607.jpg

While you've got the old one lying around all naked, could you measure the steering stem length

Matt- 8 3/16"

Matt Emerson /

Thank you. So that's roughly 208mm...

There's some cheap pit bike triple trees that have 220mm stems that may fit. Let's see how this goes!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account