Looks Bent To Me !

Had this one in storage and it's time to fix it. Happened before I got it so I don't know what they hit. Found a good used blue fork set. Not only is it pushed back but it's twisted to the right a little bit also. Main frame is ok as some measurements I made match my unwrecked units.

DSCN0376.JPG

Re: Looks Bent To Me !

I'd think the fork line should follow the neck line , so , yeah , it does look bent .

I have one. Yes its bent to hell. Put on yer big boy pants and remove the fork and put it in a press and straighten it.

Bend it! These babies can take the steess better if you heat before bending.

I had to do this to an 84 QT50.

Heated the neck, slid a bigger pipe over it and wailed on it with a sledge hammer.

Or flip the fork 180 degrees and run into something to bend it back.

Lol. Yes, that would indeed work

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Or flip the fork 180 degrees and run into something to bend it back.

Ha . That might even put a second bend in the rim , you know , to balance it . LOL

Bob Naske /

For two reasons I replaced it with a good used one. First, it is my first complete teardown of a fork system on a QT so I now know how they're put together and secondly I've straightened a lot of bent stuff over the years and have found even with heat quite often the result ends up having a slightly visible kink or stretch mark. And since many of us have lots of time nowadays might as well "burn some daylight." So I guess it's really 3 reasons.

Matt Emerson /

> Bob Naske Wrote:

> I replaced it with a good used one.

While you've got the old one lying around all naked, could you measure the steering stem length for me? I've been searching around for a definitive answer so I can try and source a triple tree to do a disc brake conversion but all I can find is that "General forks are a drop in replacement, with minor modifications."

> Bob Naske Wrote:

> For two reasons I replaced it with a good used one. First, it is my

> first complete teardown of a fork system on a QT so I now know how

> they're put together and secondly I've straightened a lot of bent stuff

> over the years and have found even with heat quite often the result ends

> up having a slightly visible kink or stretch mark. And since many of us

> have lots of time nowadays might as well "burn some daylight." So I

> guess it's really 3 reasons.

Ive repaired more than my share too @ 55 years old. No heat necessary, just a press and some home made wooden v-blocks. You're only limited by your own mind. No creases, dents, stretch marks, flat spots or peeling of chrome....

20181003_014420.jpg
20181003_021052.jpg
20181003_021938.jpg

When finished it rolled perfectly across the bench top....

20181003_022607.jpg

Bob Naske /

While you've got the old one lying around all naked, could you measure the steering stem length

Matt- 8 3/16"

Matt Emerson /

Thank you. So that's roughly 208mm...

There's some cheap pit bike triple trees that have 220mm stems that may fit. Let's see how this goes!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account