Puch 5 star bearing question

2 left hands 🏍 /

I was getting a pair of crusty 5 stars ready to repaint. Got the axles out and noticed the rear bearing did not look like the front. The front was ball bearings but im guessing the rear had a sealed bearing put in. I've never dealt with the sealed bearing could anyone tell me best way to remove it?

First picture was the front wheel and the second picture is the rear wheel

20200411_204423.jpg
20200411_204442.jpg

Re: Puch 5 star bearing question

Later model Puchs did have sealed bearings in the rear, so congrats! It’s a much better setup. To remove them you can use a long punch or an old long flat head screwdriver (this might mess up the driver so make sure it’s a cheap spare) and a hammer and tap it out from the opposite side. There is a steal spacer in between the 2 bearings that should have enough wiggle room to slide out of the way so you can tap out each bearing from the inside inner diameter edge. Be careful not to damage the spacer since you will need it to rebuild the wheel with new bearings after powder coat.

2 left hands 🏍 /

Well glad to know it came that way I was puzzled as to why anyone would do one and not the other. Thanks!

Richard Eberline /

They make tools to remove wheel bearings. I have a 12mm tool set.

« Go to Topics β€” end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account