Motobecane Mobylette - Attempt at spark

This is my first motobecane, trying to get spark. Previous owner pulled all wires/lights. Does anyone see anything wrong with this or have further recommendations? Just want spark to start the bike right now.

Re: Motobecane Mobylette - Attempt at spark

When the wires were removed did they also remove the ground wire/bonding strap? Looks like a bare silver braided wire, runs under the tank to coil, if so, reground the engine to the frame, the rubber engine mounts isolate the engine, so you need a solid ground to the frame for it to run.

External condenser does nothing if the casing is not connected to the common (ground).

Disconnected the old condenser from the points?

Replace the bonding strap with one from intake stud to the lower external coil stud?

Jason White /

Thanks guys, it's hard to see but in this video I do have the bonding strap running from the external ignition coil bolts down to the cylinder stud bolt. I tried re-installing that all with the external ignition coil bracket, but with no luck.

Does this wiring seem legit? It's the most basic form of hardwire I could find on the forums/wiki

I'm thinking new external ignition coil may be good, is that a logical next step? Anything else I should consider if I end up placing this order? I have new condenser, new spark plug/boot/wire, and new cam (old was cracked).

Forget the bulb connected to the 6v - just make a jumper to common from that terminal.

Did you set the point gap at 0,4mm at index and the timing at 1,5mm BTDC?

Attach the new condenser also to common or you will have no spark.

Jason White /

Alive! It's Alive! IT'S ALIVE!

Grounding out the 6v line did it, thanks for your help!

Excellent

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account