best tank sealer

looking to seal my tank that has pinholes. what brand has worked best for you?

Re: best tank sealer

i know there are many different brands of sealers, but i'm not looking for links for brands, i'm looking for brands tried & true. want to know the brand you used, and if it is still holding up for 2,3,4 years or more.

trying to find durability, quality, longevity

also feel free to post the crappy brands to avoid.

thanks!

He already told you. Caswell is the only thing that works. There are no other options.

https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer/caswell-epoxy-gas-tank-sealer-mini-kit-up-to-5-gal.html

No need to list the other brands. They all suck.

Yup Caswell is it

I've only used Kreem. Kreem is garbage. Doesn't hold for long.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Caswell. It was covered in response #1

I have not used this product, but have heard good about it. Called Fertan

http://www.boxer2valve.com/motorcycle/5324020.html

The boxer2valve guy has some awesome YouTube series about fixing old BMW airhead motorcycles. If you have some free time, I recommend checking him out. He’s a “real mechanic” , by my judgement, and his videos are like watching Bob Ross (calm, relaxing, intriguing) but it’s all about fixing old bikes.

Of course that has nothing to do with mopeds but good shop methods and practices are priceless information. Just wanted to throw that in there.

Caswell. I've used it in at least 20 tanks. Covers pinholes, seam cracks, easy to use, tank doesn't have to be spotless inside because Caswell sticks to rust.

Never failed me. Have bikes going on ten years with no problems.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have not used this product, but have heard good about it. Called

> Fertan

>

This is the first I've ever heard of Fertan .

Maybe popular in Europe ? Some of their stuff doesn't make it to this side of the pond , until later . (edited)

> baird co Wrote:

> Caswell. I've used it in at least 20 tanks. Covers pinholes, seam

> cracks, easy to use, tank doesn't have to be spotless inside because

> Caswell sticks to rust.

>

> Never failed me. Have bikes going on ten years with no problems.

Pretty hard to beat that^ . ;)

> baird co Wrote:

> Caswell. I've used it in at least 20 tanks. Covers pinholes, seam

> cracks, easy to use, tank doesn't have to be spotless inside because

> Caswell sticks to rust.

>

> Never failed me. Have bikes going on ten years with no problems.

like!^

Pushrod Fifty /

The directions say to use paint stripper having methylene chloride in it to strip out old coatings. I have used acetone, but now most if the cleaners, strippers and solvents are reformulated to CA standards, at least the ones for sale here.

What is the best thing to use to strip out old Kreem?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

>

> What is the best thing to use to strip out old Kreem?

Xylol/Xylene.

Let it soak overnight and it should pull the liner off the walls of the tank.

I just sealed a top tank it was easy. Go into autozone ask for gas tank sealing kit. Its $7.00 tube of epoxy the size of a spark plug. You form it with fingers push it into pin holes viola! Next day fill tank with gas.

I have had very good luck with a product called Red-Kote, or Red Coat, or the like. It's different from other sealers in that it's a red liquid plastic that, if you're as old as I am, you would recognize as being identical to a kids' toy from the 1950's called 'Plastic Bubbles.' Said kit came with a tiny tube of this evil-smelling substance and a small tube with which you could blow permanent bubbles. Anyway, I used two cans of this to seal the utterly-rusted, sealed-many-times gas tank of my 1964 Ford Econoline Van. I'd used Kreem, which failed after a few years, and then I'd used fiberglass on the outside, which failed as well. The Red Kote stuff has held up splendidly over the last five years, and the company is good at communicating.

It's not cheap, however, and I don't think they sell less than a quart:

http://damonq.com/red-kote.html O'Reilly Auto Parts sells it.

Pushrod Fifty /

Thanks, I'll try xylene.

Caswell

I wish there was such a convincing thread when I did mine.

I spent a couple weeks cleaning out my tank, and then tig welding all the pin holes.

It was PRISTINE. Ill post pictures. Completely pristine. I blow dried it for an hour then lit it dry. I used the por15 tank stuff and wow... MAJOR regret. I did the etch, all the steps, and it was DRY. I swish it around my tank and it just wont really stick. I come back the next day and it was splotchy etc. I couldn't believe it. Absolutely furious. From what I keep seeing, I would go with caswell. The hours and hours and hours I spent I will never try anything else if caswell truly works. We'll have to see on the next ped.

I was hoping to get a good coating because of the pin holes and kind of the acne scarred face style tank. We'll see how long this poor coating last and if it doesnt go through the tank.

I feel ya on that. I used poor15 and kream before. One time each. Massive failures.

I used kream in a custom copper tank I spent a long time making with copper sheet, silver solder, etc. It was for a board track style motorized bike using a 1930 frame. Talked to a rep at kream beforehand, and he assured me kream would work on copper, and told me the steps to prepare it.

Seemed to work great, good adhesion, good coverage. Then I put gas in it and the shit melted and peeled off the sides, and just fucking ruined the tank. Had to cut it apart, clean it, and resolder it all back together.

That's when I discovered Caswell, and I'll never use anything else

done2-20-10 005.jpg

Removing all the rust made it so that all rusty clogged holes started springing leaks.

I tig welded a lot of them, then soldered some.

Check out the tank before and after. I was PISSED when I saw how bad the Por15 came out. I don't show an image of that. It just didn't seem to stick and I got a very thin layer.

[attahmcent 219533 IMG_2133.jpg]

IMG_2745.jpg
349D979A-8953-4738-8531-22784DBF5311.JPG
IMG_2133.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

I use vinegar at first to do the major cleaning and if I get pinholes I either toss it or repair. I have had good results with marine-tex gray to coat over pinholes after derust and etching, and then liquid coating inside.

I say liquid because I used to use Kreem, following the instructions about rust removal like mad. I only got 2 years out of the last coating I did. I think they changed the formula, like everything else, cheapness before quality. I have 15 years on one tank I did.

This spill of Caswell has been on my driveway since 2014 when I did my Moto Beta tank. Still clear, stuck to dirty concrete.

IMG_20200415_122628.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

I wonder how long it would take to get Caswell shipped. Their website pretty much spells out delay due to virus.

You can get it from other distributors. Check around.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> baird co Wrote:

> This spill of Caswell has been on my driveway since 2014 when I did my

> Moto Beta tank. Still clear, stuck to dirty concrete.

If this isn't a testament to how good caswell is, I dont know what is. I would thing for sure that 6 years of UV exposure, heat, freezing temps, and expansion/contraction of dirty concrete would have popped it off

Dirty30 Dillon /

Caswell is literally no joke. If you do the prep and take the care, it's flawless.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account