Stud removal

Christian Roberts /

So I'm trying to take care of a exhaust stud that I stupidly snapped the other day. None of my removal methods have worked so far. I don't have an extractor. Tried double nut but there wasn't quite enough space. Dremeled a slot for a flathead, aero kroil soaked, and still won't budge. I know you can weld a nut on, but I don't have the means to do that.

Any thoughts?

Re: Stud removal

Order some VamPliers

Maybe super glue a nut on ?

You can weld a nut on with two 12 volt batteries, jumper cables, and a nickel. I saw MacGyver do it once.

torch the cylinder and needle nose vise grips.

Pics would help everyone here to ascertain the situation and the best method of removal. Words just dont cut it.

Left handed drill bits. Harbor freight has them. Put them in a drill, drill in reverse. Drill bit catches and spins out the stud.

Loctite and CRC both make freeze sprays that come out at -20 degree F and will make the stud contract and allow the liquid to seep in between the stud and the exhaust header. Alternate between a torch on the exhaust header (expansion) and freeze spray on the broken stud (contraction) along with a few gentle taps with a hammer several times and then let it sit overnight and it should come out with a needle nose pliers. All of the above ideas will work just be careful

Jack

Same thing you do on a car engine block. Heat it up and turn it out. if its aluminum cylinder it should not be a problem at all to get out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account