Derbi stuck pulley shaft

Wesley Ambrosini /

Any wisdom on how to pull this thing directly out?

rod.jpg

on a side note a spindle lock nut from auto zone is a standard size m24 1.5 thread

perfect for pulling the pulleys out

thumbnail_IMG_20200401_105229761.jpg

Re: Derbi stuck pulley shaft

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Is it a blind hole? You can't knock it out from the other side?

Wesley Ambrosini /

'tis blind.

The manual says it just come right out but no dice.

Maybe some heat on it

Yeah, put a torch on the outside of the case, get it hot and it will fall right out.

I'm having same issue now, will try heating up outside of case.

I removed the output shaft first, then just heated up the bearing with a maap torch it isn’t a super tight interference, to get it out of the case I just heated the journals from the backside and it plopped out. Be really careful when you remove the main output gear, under the pedal detent is 2 springs and ball bearings that will shoot across the room if you don’t take it apart as one unit.

Wesley Ambrosini /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I removed the output shaft first, then just heated up the bearing with a

> maap torch it isn’t a super tight interference, to get it out of the

> case I just heated the journals from the backside and it plopped out. Be

> really careful when you remove the main output gear, under the pedal

> detent is 2 springs and ball bearings that will shoot across the room if

> you don’t take it apart as one unit.

Yeah I wish the manual mentioned that. 30 minutes with a magnet got the bearings back though

Currently heating and tapping but this thing is on there tight as fuck with no way to get under it.

Why not build a puller just for that shaft ?

Wouldn't be very difficult .

> P D Wrote:

> Why not build a puller just for that shaft ?

>

> Wouldn't be very difficult .

Derbis don’t like pullers, heat is your best friend when in derbi land. Get a mapp gas torch and do it right.

DO NOT use a puller on this bearing. I have seen more than one case cracked on the outside of the journal from what I imagine is from trying to use a blind bearing puller on it. Maap gets it done. When you put it back together, bearings pressed on to the crank then freeze them both together, pre heat the cases and load everything in that side. It goes together really smooth this way. Put the seals in after it’s all together

I was talking about the shaft only , but , that might just take the bearing with .

Learn something new , every day . :)

My Simplex case is the same ... no pullers . Enough heat and the bearings fall in/out .

Wesley Ambrosini /

Cool, I'm picking up a bottle of mapp today, propane just ain't cutting it. I'll see how it goes.

Wesley Ambrosini /

I went hard with the map and it didn't budge. Doing an overnight in the freezer to try and shrink it a bit. Gonna pull on it tomorrow against all advice.

Mine was stuck. I sprayed it with penetrant, let it sit overnight, then heated the next day and lightly tapped around the area with a rubber mallet. Getting that blind bearing out is more of a challenge.

Dude, do not use a bearing puller. You will wreck your cars. They’re so weak behind that bearing. It’s so easy to rebuild a flat reed; apparently you didn’t get it hot enough. Heat the cases up enough from the outside and it will fall out without even tapping.

Wesley Ambrosini /

I wasn't going to pull the bearing just the shaft.

Maybe put a hole in a 2x4 stick it onto the end and put the nut on. Then heat and pull up

> Wesley Ambrosini Wrote:

> I wasn't going to pull the bearing just the shaft.

>

> Maybe put a hole in a 2x4 stick it onto the end and put the nut on. Then

> heat and pull up

If that big gear is out of the way , a piece of pipe with an inside diameter big enough to go over the shaft gear and long enough , with a decent washer , to allow a few threads of the nut . Cut a slot in the gear end of the pipe and bend it inward to jam the gear from turning while you're tightening the nut .

Wesley Ambrosini /
IMG_20200404_101926827_HDR.jpg

Well the gear is out, bearing is still on it.

Thanks gents

It seems like heat + wacking shit is the way to go more often than not

Ha . Looks like you got that a little hot .

I always wondered just how they blued gun barrels . ;)

Nice. You got lucky with the bearing. Getting mine out was the hardest part of rebuilding my engine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account