Puch external condenser question

So my ZA50 maxi lost spark sitting in the garage between its last ride in early january, and a few weeks ago. I went through the steps in the puch service manual for no spark conditions and did all the steps up to replacing points/condenser. For the record, I:

-Cleaned points with sandpaper, and readjusted

-Changed plugs (4 different ones)

-Swapped Spark plug wires/cap with another maxi

-tried a third cap

-no cap, holding wire close to ground for spark

-swap coil

-check grounds

-Hook up a horn, jump horn wires, tie together, and more horn wire direct to ground

-disconnect kill switch, per service manual

-Yes, all the lights work and its an OE wiring harness. Ran fine in January, sat after christmas for 2 months, then no running.

So that leaves condenser went bad. I went through the wiki, and it seams simple enough. But somebody put in an edit that you dont have to mess with the condenser in the magneto- is that right, I can just add the external one? Or since its a no-spark condition, not 'bad when hot' condition, I need to remove it?

Re: Puch external condenser question

Yes you can add an external condenser. Any automotive condenser with a wire and mounting/grounding strap will work.

Connect the condenser wire to the ignition coil wire coming off the stator. You can just connect it at the ht coil if you want. And ground the condenser by mounting it to a bolt in the frame.

Like this one. Or literally any other one with a wire and grounding strap at AutoZone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9Q1TS/

Yeah, I just ask for a vw beetle condenser because if you aren't somewhat specific then you have to explain to ol' Bill at Autozone what you're doing and they tell you it won't work. I think it is like $5 or something.

Bosch brand condenser is likely the best available .

very unlikely a 'no spark at all' is caused by a condenser.

i'd go back to cleaning/setting the points, you might have had an unrelated problem and you fucked up the points and now you've fixed the other problem but the points are wack.

do you see the points arcing in the flywheel when you spin the engine over with a drill and the spark plug removed?

do you have a DMM that you can use to check resistance across the points?

Guys, I get any condenser works. Im asking if I have to remove the old one or not, since the wiki is contradicting.

Graham, I got a whole lot of nothing from the points (no arcing).

I have a dmm out in my workshop- Ill grab it next time I drive out there. How do I test resistance?

> Red Foreman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Guys, I get any condenser works. Im asking if I have to remove the old

> one or not, since the wiki is contradicting.

>

At the least , I'd disconnect it from the system . No sense in leaving a possible problem dangling .

What other part does anyone leave in place when applying a new part ?

Windshields?

No I guess not. It would stop the rain from the hole but the visibility would still suck

spark is the hardest thing to find, always wonder where it disappears, was there now nowhere, just terrible.

now did u use 50 grit sandpaper on your points or 100?

Pushrod Fifty /

You need to desolder the old condenser and desolder the remaining wires together because it could be shorted inside. Use heat shrink tubing to insulate the wire connection. Check the spark plug wire at both ends and that your engine is grounded to the frame. Follow the wiki for ignition hardwiring to test it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account