Peugeot Suicide Prevention Hotline (a.k.a. why wont it run???)

I decided to make a new thread after my last one went from "I'm scared of riding further than 5 miles" to "where did the stupid spark go" to "ok now nothing works."

I took a break from working on my Peugeot 103 for a couple weeks to let my wallet recover and I'm back at it. To my surprise it didn't magically fix itself in the garage.

After Pat helped me with an external coil, new points, and a bunch of other points I got the spark going killer. Bright blue spark every time, even just turning the flywheel by hand. But now it doesn't want to even start running.

I've checked the carb and everything is clean, fuel is flowing freely through the petcock and fuel filter, there's compression on the engine when I put my finger over the spark plug hole, the reeds look good, and I feel suction when I put my finger over the hole where the carb attaches.

I thought all I needed was spark, fuel, and air? I didn't know I needed magical powers too, but who knows what french engineers where up to in the 70's.

Its a Peugeot 103 LVS U3 running a Dellorto 14.12 carb with whatever the stock jets are. I've already replaced the needle that was all swollen from the previous owner spraying carb cleaner on it.* Moved to this forum by grahammotzing

Re: Peugeot Suicide Prevention Hotline (a.k.a. why wont it run???)

Bright blue snappy spark all the time - great - so is fuel getting there?

Give the engine a leakdown to check for vacuum leaks.

Buyfrenchiemoped.jpg

Do you have a method for checking vacuum leaks when the engine isn't running? I had checked everything with starter spray when it was still running, but that's not really going to work now.

Are you sure your timed correctly?

"...running a Dellorto 14.12 carb with whatever the stock jets are."

Maybe whatever the stock jets are are too big/small?

The SHA has one jet, check what size is in there

August Adams-Miller /

My moped was really finicky with what jets it liked. Even like 1 or 2 sizes off and it wouldn’t start. Maybe get a pack of a few sizes up and down and try that. If not, at least the jets are cheap.

Leak down tester and soapy water in a spray bottle. If the leaks are bad enough just spraying soapy water on the seals and gaskets and cranking over by hand will produce bubbles.

If you pull the plug and drizzle a little pre-mix in there, put the plug back and kick it over, I think it should fire if the timing is anywhere near right...

So I've triple checked the timing, still set perfectly. I also checked my jet and it's a 60, that sound like a good size? I'll check with soapy water tomorrow, I didn't know that worked on this. Would a compression tester be a good investment?

Oh! Can't believe I forgot to mention this in my response! So I decided to flush out all the gas from the tank and I couldn't really see what it looked like once it was in the can, but I flushed the tank with a quarter gallon of acetone and collect it in a jar and it came out super milky and yellow. Definitely a bad sign.

20200331_155644.jpg

Maybe try and fire it up on an external jar/tank?

Shake it like a salt shaker

D137275E-7DBE-41F7-B213-4B8D496EEFBF.jpeg
77AADEBF-BBD7-40EC-973E-586895A18318.jpeg

Those are some neat salt and pepper things (dispensers? grinders?)

So I've completely flushed out my tank, gotten a bit of debris out but nothing major. I hooked up an inline spark tester and i'm still getting reliable spark. And that's really the issue, if I didn't have spark I'd know where to look at least.

What's really confusing is that even when I spray starter spray I can't get anything, I've sprayed it in the carb, straight into the intake, and even into the spark plug hole.

If I have spark, shouldn't the starter spray get it running for at least a couple seconds? I'm completely lost on this. I'll take any ideas.

Adequate compression first , with no air leaks .

Then correct timing , with sufficient spark under compression .

Correct air/fuel mixture .

In that order . You should have a runner .

I'm waiting for my compression tester to arrive in the mail so I quadruple checked the timing and even managed to get a picture of where the flywheel is when I get spark and check the piston with it. It's sparking the second it gets to TDC, which sounds right to me.

If I'm getting a big blue spark when the plug is touching the cylinder head and the timing is set right the only problem could be compression right? When the plug is in and I turn the flywheel by hand or peddle it definitely has some strong pressure on it but no way I could tell what the compression is by hand.

Could I also be losing spark with compression? I've ran it with an inline spark tester and the light flashes when peddle so I'm pretty sure its still sparking under compression, but who knows.

Screenshot_20200404-175057_Slow motion editor.jpg

A big blue spark is good . But , it should fire just before TDC .

Some plugs will spark fine in open air and get 'blown out' , so to speak , when under compression .

An inline spark tester only tells you that there's enough 'juice' coming through to create a spark . It does not tell you that the spark plug is good or not .

The tester will flash if there is a gap or if the gap has been completely closed , provided there's enough juice .

I think your times close but wrong. I don't know if you had read this Wiki page. It might help

set timing

^yeah to cheetahs method of timing it again. spray premix in the plug hole instead of starter fluid its a 2 stroke man.

So I'm looking at the timing and after resetting it I noticed that the points are opening right at TDC instead of 1.5mm BTDC. I set it the timing just like the wiki with the timing mark on the flywheel lining up at 3/4" past the plug wire grommet.

Now I'm confused why the points are opening up late. How do you set the points to open when it's BTDC?

Also are you not supposed to use starter spray on a 2 stroke? I never knew that!

15861183774404732275214123559658.jpg

points r adjustable, barely loosen the one flathead and spin the base with a flathead, one way or the other to change gap, to open a tad earlier you want the point gap a tad bigger.

starter fluid washes away oil, premix in a bottle. I admit it, sometimes I just guess with the flywheel, a little this way or that and see how she runs.

Dude just as you responded I was coming on here to post that it worked! I did what you just told me to do and second kick I got it going! It's sounding a bit rough but that's for another day.

So stoked! Thanks for all your guys help!

Good it running .

Looks like you might want to put the flywheel lock nut in place . ;)

So it's running, stutters a lot and doesn't have much power, but I'm still happy its running. I was looking at the flywheel while its running and I'm getting a ton of arcing at the points, is this just an issue of getting a new condenser and maybe new points?

yeah try another condenser.

I'm looking at new condensers from treats and I see the normal internal solder condenser and then an external condenser. I've already gone through 3 internal condensers and if one were to go out on me while I was riding that would be a pretty difficult side of the road fix. Is hooking up the external condenser a better idea / more reliable? And will I be able to hook one up when I'm running an external coil instead of an internal one?

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=peugeot%2Dexternal%2Dcondenser&CartID=4

This is the condenser I'm looking at.

Bosch condenser . Late 60s VW .

Excellent quality and plenty of pigtail .

Have you looked at this?

condenser swap

If you have tried three condensers then I really doubt that the condenser is your trouble.

But keep trying

I ordered a few external condensers, but I found a long lost one in my box of parts and tried installing it. I thought I had it set up right, but maybe I'm a bit off since I'm also running an external coil, when I put it all back together I lost spark completely and when I tried going back to the original internal condenser I still don't have spark. 1 step forward, two steps back.

Here's how I have my wiring set up with an external condenser, pretty much the same setup with an internal condenser too.

CurrentPeugeotWiring.png
Myronsexternalcoilinternalcondenser.png

Internal coil going to condenser, external coil going to condenser, points going to condenser, pretty much what Myron's guide shows except with an external condenser.

Not sure why I would lose spark even after going back to an internal condenser.

Nevermind I found it, the ground from my internal ignition coil had disconnected. I tried the external condenser I had sitting around along with another internal condenser that I tried mounting outside. Both of them gave me very intermitant sparking. I then tried running it with out a condenser to see what it would happen and it sparked well but obviously there was serious arcing. I have some external condensers arriving in the mail tomorrow so I'll try those out and report back.

I wanna ride!

I'm going to keep updating this thread for future civilizations to find.

And they're going to find out that I'm kinda retarded. I got my new condensers today and it worked great, no more arcing between the points. I put everything back together but I had no power when with any amount of throttle and the clutch wasn't moving at all. I took the clutch apart and realized it wasn't tightened down all the way.

I had taken the spark plug out and then put it back in and started it up but it had an insane air leak all of a sudden and I could see smoke coming out of the head right by the spark plug so I took the plug out but noticed it was super hard to get out, and then metal shavings started coming out with it, and then big pieces of the threading were coming out with it and by the time it was all the way out I had a nice little pile of aluminum shavings in my hand.

I knew it was completely stripped but I took the head off and tried threading the plug back in and it just doesn't grab anymore, spins freely and doesn't make a seal. Heads trash now.

Gonna buy a new head on treats, maybe even get myself a SHA 16.16 as a treat for my suffering and stupidity.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account