Honda Hobbit engine swap?

Kristopher R. Johnson /

Has anyone successfully swapped out a destroyed Hobbit engine for another brand or clone engine into the hobbit frame? I just picked up a rolling chassis, would like to make something different. But size is a HUGE issue.

Re: Honda Hobbit engine swap?

Hobbit frame/subframe isn't really a great platform for a different engine. Jialing makes a clone that can swap in, but rebuilding hobbit engine isn't prohibitively expensive or difficult

Kristopher R. Johnson /
kris OP

Mike, thanks for the info about the Jialing clone. I actually rebuild 2 strokes for a hobby, chain saws and out board motors up to 150 hp. But the Hobbit motor was already out of the frame, and on top of it being seized, it had the head off and was outside for a few months. I junked it and took the rolling chassis. I appreciate the help!

Spend some more of your money and just buy another Hobbit motor .

Kristopher R. Johnson /
kris OP

PD- if I am going to do a lot of work on a project, I want to make it better. I own 2 Hobbits in Mint condition, a 77 Batavus HS 50, 2 motorcycles including a Buell XB9, 2000 Honda CH 80 and 3 1970's mini bikes. I was thinking perhaps shoe- horning in a Chinese 70 cc clone engine, but I don't think there is enough room unless I build a new swingarm. But any suggestions are a good place to start. Thanks Kris R Johnson

As I'm sure you're aware, the hobbit subframe mounts to the engine. So nearly any engine swap you plan to do will involve fabricating a swingarm, unless you swap another variating motor that uses a subframe, in which case you will be fabricating at least the engine hanger mounts and using the subframe from the engine model you choose, if not creating a new subframe.

It's not that it can't or hasn't been done, it's just that the Hobbit frame and tank are such mediocre components that it's not really worth spending a lot of time and effort to adapt them to a different (and potentially inferior) motor and drive train.

BUT since we're all stuck at home with nothing but time on our hands thanks to the plague anyway, maybe a Peugeot motor and swingarm could be adapted... or Derbi or maybe Vespa... it really depends on what other parts you have laying around

pretty sure nu50 will bolt on, i've seen a pic of it somewhere but i can't find it right now. if you can put an nu50 electric starter case half on a hobbit, it's gotta be the same, right?

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

honestly, I haven't seen a suggestion here yet that meets the "make it better" criteria. you can't really get better than a hobbit engine, especially for a hobbit frame. that engine you threw away would have been perfect to upgrade with a performance crank and kit, but your best bet now is to find another set of hobbit cases to build.

Dude built Hobbit engines are one of the best moped engines out there. Who gives a shit if the shitty crank and stock top end are thrashed? New crank/bearings/kit is like $300 total. Get a Crank pipe and for $500 you're faster than 90% of mopeds. Easy

Kristopher R. Johnson /
kris OP

Mike, thanks for some very valid points. I enjoy building the project more than riding it sometimes. I may have to rethink my project goals on this rolling chassis. Ride safe!

Kristopher R. Johnson /
kris OP

Chris, Thanks for NU 50 tip. That's off the little Honda Urban Express if I remember. Appreciate it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

NU50 motor does not swap into a Hobbit Subframe, as the NU50 is a full cased transmission. You could bolt the entire NU50 subframe on, but it will be short and limit your rear wheel size.

Hobbit engine is superior to alotta bikes. There is no bolt on replacement other than a hobbit engine, the engine subframe and rear wheel work as a unit. That's why there is a transmission in the rear wheel.

Nu50 will not bolt up at all. And if you did the rear wheel would be almost directly under you ass..

Think treatland or doscycles had nos 60cc

hobbit/Camino kickstartt engines.

Nu50 will not bolt up at all.

I never said it would be easy, but someone in Europe did it.

index.jpg

(edited)

"Bolt on" typically implies no modifications needed, FYI

Kristopher R. Johnson /
kris OP

Aaron Thanks for the heads up. Appreciated. Ride safe! KRJ

haha well i hope you didn't 'junk the engine' because by the time you're done with a hobbit build the only thing left is the cases, and maybe the igniton

you replace the crank, cylinder, piston, reeds, variator, head. depending on what you do the clutch and some of the variator parts, but yeah, a 'trashed' hobbit engine is perfect for starters.

having done motorcycle restoration type shit for years i've learned never throw anythign away until the project is done, you never know what is going to turn out to be unobtanium or you'll need to chop up and modify to make work.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account