crankshaft replacement

so my runner's crankshaft is going bad and i will need a replacement. my friend gave me a crankshaft that he had on his runner. the crank itself seems fine and the bearings are good as well. the threads on the flywheel side are damaged and i was wondering if it will still be any good or if i should go ahead and buy a new one. i added some pics of the crank.

Screenshot_20200330-015014_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200330-015107_Gallery.jpg

Re: crankshaft replacement

A thread file will fix that if you take your time an go slow.

i will give my mechanic the crank and see what he has to say about it. thanks!

> jim jim Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i will give my mechanic the crank and see what he has to say about it.

> thanks!

Why didn't you bring it to him in the first place ?

He'd have that fixed before you left .

i did but he is a bored piece of shit so he didn't even bother to look at the crank. he said to me "what are we gonna replace it with an old crank?" so he "fixed" my crankshaft. i bought the moped for cheap and its previous owner listed that it had a small acceleration problem. i thought it was the rollers and the belt and they needed replacement. i changed the rollers, the belt, the air filter with malossi parts, i installed a malossi exhaust and i cleaned the carburettor and the problem didn't go away. so i brought it to the closest mechanic that i thought was a good mechanic as well. he fixed the problem, changed the carburettor for a new one, installed a new piston but he didn't change the crank as it would cost a lot. the bike is fine but i think i should replace the crank before it messes the whole engine up.

Like Jeff said , get a thread file . The job would be done in just a few passes .

It's not so critical that you have to employ a bored piece of shit . ;)

Time to get in some basic tools so you dont have to rely on mechanics who might not be interested in working on your ride (or how may have lower standards than you)

i have the tools and the basic knowledge to get my job done but i don't trust myself disassembling my bike. if something goes wrong and the bike doesn't start the mechanic would disassemble the bike and if there are any damaged parts it's his duty to replace them because it's his job and he didn't do it right. i am just a normal guy who can't afford anything going wrong with me building the bike from scratch and i especially can't afford damaging more parts in the process.

You have a excellent knowledge base here at MopedArmy, goodly folks who can help direct you for all repairs and help you develop more upon your basic knowledge and confidence. Mopeds do not need a large collection of specialty tools and only a couple of specific tools.

> jim jim Wrote:

> i have the tools and the basic knowledge to get my job done but i don't

> trust myself disassembling my bike. if something goes wrong and the bike

> doesn't start the mechanic would disassemble the bike and if there are

> any damaged parts it's his duty to replace them because it's his job and

> he didn't do it right. i am just a normal guy who can't afford anything

> going wrong with me building the bike from scratch and i especially

> can't afford damaging more parts in the process.

> jim jim Wrote:

> i have the tools and the basic knowledge to get my job done but i don't

> trust myself disassembling my bike. if something goes wrong and the bike

> doesn't start the mechanic would disassemble the bike and if there are

> any damaged parts it's his duty to replace them because it's his job and

> he didn't do it right. i am just a normal guy who can't afford anything

> going wrong with me building the bike from scratch and i especially

> can't afford damaging more parts in the process.

All the more reason to do it yourself . No one will be as particular as yourself .

As for trusting yourself , how can you trust anyone else ? so what if they get to pay for other parts ? If they don't know or care about what they are doing , different parts won't help .

If you don't know how to use a tool then look on Utube and they will have something on it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account