1977 A3 Tomos spark, but no points spark

Michael Fox /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I recently purchased a 1977 Tomos A3. I initially had no spark at plug and points, but my headlight and brake light would light up when I turned the engine.

I disconnected lighting to make sure it was not a ground issue. Still got no spark. I thought maybe the coil on the stator starter coil was bad, so I jumped a wire from the light stator coil on the bottom, to the top, essentially using my headlight wire to start the motor.

I GOT SPARK! and consistent spark. Still no spark at the points. Set points and timing to the best of my knowledge (first time). Plugged the spark plug in and still no engine fire. Good compression as well and fuel delivery is fine.

I'm thinking bad condensor or points. Stators are hard to find for this and pricey. Any other troubleshooting you guys recommend?

I've read Fred's guide and it has alot of good information, but I wanted to ask the community for a more advice to fix due to my issues. Thank you!

20200316_195130.jpg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account