Front wheel resistance

Nick Melillo /

Hi guys/gals. New here. Just picked up a 1982 Honda Urban Express NU50. It's in decent shape with only 1229 miles, but it's been sitting for many years in someone's shed. So I got it running nicely and took it for her first spin. She ran great and was a lot fun, got it going about 27mph took it down the block and back. I put it on the kick stand and let it run for a few minutes and went to take another lap but the front wheel was completely locked up. I tried pushing it a bit to free it up but heard a not so nice noise. It now will spin (with a little resistance), but only like 2/3 of a turn until it grabs again and locks. So I can go forward and back about 270 degrees. Before I start taking everything apart I figured I'd see if anyone has run into this. I'm figuring the bearings or breaks. Don't have much experience with bikes/mopeds. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Front wheel resistance

Tear it apart and find out what is wrong . Once apart , it should be obvious .

You can't have a front wheel locking up at any speed .

Brake is sticking against the drum. Probably bad cable not working smoothly. Shoot some liquid wrench OIL down it. Corrosion could be inside brake drum, or possibly return spring is bad.

The lining came off of one of the brake shoes.

Nick Melillo /

We have a winner!! So i found some time to take it all apart last night and LiveEvil was correct, except that the lining came off of both brake shoes. Thanks for the help.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account