1980 Puch Maxi E350, high pitched bird chirp soundl at start up

I just recently changed out the bottom jug of the E50 motor, put everything back together and it started, test rode it, ran really good, it idled super smooth, no problems. Now when i start it, there is a high pitched squeal, kinda sounds like a bird chirping coming from the cylinder while its running and its backfiring, more like a popping sound kinda like popcorn from in between the cylinders it seems. There is also a very unique smell kinda like electrical but not electrical if that makes sense. Could it possibly be the timing, or maybe the piston rings that are scraping the inside of the cylinder? Whatever it is, its super creepy. Any info would be appreciated

Re: 1980 Puch Maxi E350, high pitched bird chirp soundl at start up

You haven't taken it apart to find out what is making the noise , yet ?

Postponing the inevitable .

I took the head back off, double checked the gasket, the piston, I put it back together, making sure not to over tighten the nuts, same thing. I use the Puch service manual as reference, however nothing in the troubleshooting section with a symptom like this.

High pitched squeals usually mean something got too dry and is about to seize or already has and is being forced .

A lot of times it's a bushing or bearing .

Should i put a little bit of straight two stroke oil in the cylinder just as a precautionary?

Sounds like a head gasket leak to me... Look for smoke at the head when it pops. I've had lots of stock headed hobbits blow head gaskets and that's the battle cry. Use copper spray a gasket head gaskets are silly.

Yeah Nick, you pretty much described it there with the smoke and whatnot. Thanks for the feedback!

I can't say that I have ever heard a gasket , good or bad , produce a high pitched squeal .

But , I've never owned a Puch , either .

Please let us know what you find .

Pushrod Fifty /

Last time I heard a Puch sound like that was when I put my head on upside down leaving the decomp port partially open.

Just to put it out there for future reference, I replaced the cylinder from a Newport, which does not require a gasket. After reading that on the Puch manual, I took off the gasket and no issues!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account