Matching tires and inner tubes

I have a Sava 16 x 2.25 tire. Should I buy a 16 x 2.00/2.25 or a 16 x 2.25/2.50 inner tube?

Re: Matching tires and inner tubes

Yes.

Sorry. Seriously tho, either is fine. I usually opt for the larger, as it will stretch less, creating less fatigue. At least in my OCD brain. But it doesn’t really matter.

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry. Seriously tho, either is fine. I usually opt for the larger, as

> it will stretch less, creating less fatigue. At least in my OCD brain.

> But it doesn’t really matter.

This

These guys put you on track and just wanted to add to what they said for future knowledge ...the larger tube is fine but just never go too much larger than the tire size to cause folds in the tube

Dirty30 Dillon /

Seth's advise is sound, but really either one will work, as per the specs they both fit your tire size.

Don't forget the rim liners Michael..

> Les B. Wrote:

> Don't forget the rim liners Michael..

A few rounds of duct tape works for that^ , if your current liners are done or you forget to order ... ;)

I always buy motorcycle tubes , as opposed to bicycle tubes .

MC tubes are much higher quality and won't pop if you happen to put a little too much air in . Ask me how I know that .

the smaller tubes makes it easier to intall because of less said folds.^^

Dirty30 Dillon /

> P D Wrote:

> A few rounds of duct tape works for tha.

I understand in a pinch, but I have cleaned up too many rims with old, gummed up duct tape in them to ever do it myself. Electrical tape is much easier to remove later and the adhesive doesn't smear like duct tape.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > A few rounds of duct tape works for tha.

>

> I understand in a pinch, but I have cleaned up too many rims with old,

> gummed up duct tape in them to ever do it myself. Electrical tape is

> much easier to remove later and the adhesive doesn't smear like duct

> tape.

Duct tape won't 'walk' out of place like narrower electrical tape can .

I recall using 1.5" wide electrical tape on one rim and that stayed put and worked fine . Probably still is .

I know it's not the best solution .

I do have a rim that has duct tape as a liner with no ill effects for the past 13 years .

I'll find out this summer how that looks , as I intend to mount a new tire on that rim .

I agree with the electrical tape. Duct tape dries out, and if you ever want to respoke a wheel it's the worst crap ever to remove.

But, I have a bunch of rolls of the 1.5" electrical tape, so there.

Pushrod Fifty /

I would go with the 2.00/2.25 just so you have less of a chance of pinching it.

I like to add a little air to the tube first to check it for leaks and to hold it into the tire so it doesn't get hit by the tire iron. I get a tub of hot soapy water and a brush and heat up the tire with the hot water, getting it real hot and wet so the tire will slip right over the rim and use the irons only if needed.

You can buy bicycle tubes with the slime run flat stuff. I haven't had a problem with mine yet. The only advantage of the motorcycle tube that I can think of is the valve stem can be screwed down to the rim so it doesn't move. My valve stems used to always fall apart on bicycle tubes.

Thanks for all the advice.

BTW, I recently had the issue with a rim liner that was broken. This may seem odd, but I took the old inner tube and stripped it down to just a 1" strip and used it for a liner. I cut out the valve stem and enlarged the hole. It worked.

> Michael Smith Wrote:

> Thanks for all the advice.

>

> BTW, I recently had the issue with a rim liner that was broken. This may

> seem odd, but I took the old inner tube and stripped it down to just a

> 1" strip and used it for a liner. I cut out the valve stem and enlarged

> the hole. It worked.

Probably better than an actual liner . That's good thinking .

I hope you kept a little of that tube rubber around for other uses . It comes in handy .

Why would anyone run marginally effective bicycle tubes on a bike that goes much faster ?

Maybe that's a really dumb question to ask guys that make a bike run as much as twice what it was designed for .

Dirty30 Dillon /

> P D Wrote:

> Why would anyone run marginally effective bicycle tubes on a bike that

> goes much faster ?

Either because they're unaware of the spec differences, or just prefer the cheaper cost. Either way: don't run bicycle tubes.

On a 16x2.25 tire I would use 16 x 2.25/2.50 inner tube. The smaller 2.00/2.25 tube needs to expand more so the tube walls are thinner as well have more tension to the rubber. Thinner wall means easier to puncture and more tension means the rubber is more likely to tear than develop a leak with a puncture. A leak is repairable, a tear is another long piece of rubber to repurpose and make a sling shot.

The tube is NOT excessively larger, so if you are pinching the tube you are doing it wrong. Also, depending on size, if there is a heavy duty tube available get it. If you pinch tubes or have difficulty use some talc to get things to slide a bit better. Talc is excellent lube for rubber to rubber or rubber to metal. Also the talc will stay in the tire, so there is no chaffing between tire and tube if you ride hard.

I also use rim strips, not electrical or duct tape (or masking tape or whatever tape), for rim strips. The glue in electrical tape will soften and goo up when you ride (unless you are just putting short distance at 20mph) so any tape may shift and expose the tube to the spoke nipples. If I dont have the strip I order a few and patiently wait 4 or 5 days for delivery (good to have spares of strip and tubes anyway).

If you buy bicycle tires for your moped you will be in danger of having a blow outwith zero warning. Bicycle tires are not designed for the weight and speed of a moped (unless a ride is to the stop sign and back at 20mph - then you are likely good to go).

Do not 'slime' your tubes or any other additive if you plan on going over 30mph, that shyte can give a tire a big imbalance and at speed you may get wobble that you will not recover from safely.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account