Sealing integrated gas tank/frame.

I've got kind of a gnarly gas tank, and it's cleaning out pretty well but in an ideal world I'd be able to seal it. I'm not prepared to take it all apart again just so I can flip the frame, especially because I have limited room as it is. So my question is, and I might already know the answer, is there some product or technique that will let me seal the tank without undoing all my work? Ideally something that can fill the tank then drain out.

Another question along the same vein would be, is it ok to not get the top? I could probably roll it around with a friend and do an alright job, but does it really matter if it's not perfect?

Re: Sealing integrated gas tank/frame.

Justin Petraitis /

Honestly, for the trouble of actually sealing it, plus the bad results I've seen around here (the coating flaking off, not adhereing to the inside of the tank, etc), I don't think it's worth it. Once it's cleaned, just keep it full of premix and it won't rust. It's when they sit for months or years with an empty tank that it'll begin to rust.

> Justin Petraitis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Honestly, for the trouble of actually sealing it, plus the bad results

> I've seen around here (the coating flaking off, not adhereing to the

> inside of the tank, etc), I don't think it's worth it. Once it's

> cleaned, just keep it full of premix and it won't rust. It's when they

> sit for months or years with an empty tank that it'll begin to rust.

Yeah, I don't have pinholes or anything yet so I'll probably just give everything a good clean and hope for the best. I think I have something stuck in there, like maybe a piece of the original oil mixing cup or something that needs to come out, but I'll trade out the vinegar for some Works and see what happens.

If it's not leaking anywhere, just clean it.

If you're going to seal it, bite the bullet and do it right. Use Caswell. It works. F' all the other brands.

> Guthrie Mass Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Justin Petraitis Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Honestly, for the trouble of actually sealing it, plus the bad results

>

> > I've seen around here (the coating flaking off, not adhereing to the

>

> > inside of the tank, etc), I don't think it's worth it. Once it's

>

> > cleaned, just keep it full of premix and it won't rust. It's when they

>

> > sit for months or years with an empty tank that it'll begin to rust.

>

> Yeah, I don't have pinholes or anything yet so I'll probably just give

> everything a good clean and hope for the best. I think I have something

> stuck in there, like maybe a piece of the original oil mixing cup or

> something that needs to come out, but I'll trade out the vinegar for

> some Works and see what happens.

I had a air hose fitting pop off into my tank ..i couldn't get it to fall out and coukdn't see it ...i have a camera that plugs into my phone that i.bought on ebay that saved the day..it was $11 and change with free shipping ...i have used it a bunch..i think it is called an endoscope camera ..very handy to check out inside tge tanks or anything where you can't see

dont seal a tank that doesnt rust. especially if you're uncertain how to do it or it's an awkward frame. Even if it leaks, it's way better to braze (or have someone braze) it shut than try sealers. it's expensive, difficult and very likely to fail. Even the successful ones rarely last more than a few years and selling a bike it's a big negative - if i see some rando out there tried to coat a tank i'm backing right away.

Second the endosscope camera, that thing I got on a him and it's saved my butta few times, even had a magnet attachment i was able to fish a dropped bolt out of a closed engine case - game fucking changer.

Sounds like you might have the same as i bought ..it came with a hook and magnet for fishing out things ..you are right sure makes life easier on lots of projects

New gasoline has ethanol which promotes water and creates condensation. New cars that use gas with ethanol rust from inside out. Gasoline without ethanol does not rust metal or if used with stabilizer additives to prevent moisture is preferred.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account