Demm Smily Only Runs with Starter Clutch Engaged

Pea-Jae Stasuk /

Hello, MA folks!

I have a Demm Smily (‘76?) that only runs for short bursts with Starter Clutch engaged.

It didn’t run when I got it and the clutch shoes were worn down by the starter clutch to the point that the top of the clutch plate was worn away. I replaced the clutch shoes (with decent old ones from another beat up Smily engine) and the starter plate (with a NOS one from Treatland!).

I put it all back together and the only way it’ll run is if I keep the starter clutch engaged.

Anyone had and solved this problem?

Anyone have advice for me on things to try?

Thanks so much! I love Moped Army! I’ve learned so much! My Smily would be just an elaborate garage decoration, if it weren’t for you!!

Peace,

Pea-Jae

Re: Demm Smily Only Runs with Starter Clutch Engaged

i dont have a demm but this sounds as if your pedaling like mad, grabbing the starter clutch, the motor spins and is close to running, put put put put, but the second u let go it dies. try drill starting off the magneto nut if u can.

Pea-Jae Stasuk /

Hey, Pat Splat!

Definitely pedaling like mad, but it goes just a bit further than that. I am definitely able to stop pedaling and feel the bike surge forward. If I keep the starter clutch engaged, it pulls me forward. I let go, and it stalls. Could my starter clutch be too tight? Maybe it’s dragging?

It seems like this must’ve been an issue with the previous owner, since the clutch shoes and the clutch plate were so worn down, like they had kept the started engaged to keep it running.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Any other things I should try?

Peace,

Pea-Jae

hmm, can u point to and take a picture of the handle your pulling.

i think i have done this before.

Pea-Jae Stasuk /

Sorry for the delayed reply, it's been a bit wacky these days.

I took the clutch cover off and removed all the bits on that side. Replaced the clutch plate with a different one from a spare motor. Made sure things weren't too tight and the clearances were all good. Put it back together and I'm off and running!

Even put a NOS muffler from ebay on it and it doesn't sound like a chainsaw anymore!

Now I'm working on lights and switches! Wheeee!!

Thanks for the help!

Peace,

Pea-Jae

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account