clutch problem/shimming?

Peter Smith /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I just restored an old Puch Maxi, it's an early model 1972 I think.

First one I've done so don't know too much about them!

After rebuilding the engine with new crank/seals/bearings I started it, but the back wheel was spinning like crazy when I opened the throttle a fraction - if I shut the throttle off fully then the engine would die and not hold idle.

Is it likely that the clutch is knackered and needs replacing ( it's the only thing I didn't replace pretty much) or is it down to spacing/shimming, or something else completely?

I read a former post on here that mentioned spacing in the clutch basket causing the starter clutch to drag could be an issue - if anyone could explain to me in simple terms how I check and adjust that I would appreciate it!

I actually thought the spacing for the starter clutch might be too big as it was very difficult to start and didn't feel like it easily engaged.

Grateful for any suggestions - as I have an early E50 the clutch is within the engine casings, so every time I get it wrong I have to take the engine out and split the casings again!

Cheers.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account