clutch problem/shimming?

I just restored an old Puch Maxi, it's an early model 1972 I think.

First one I've done so don't know too much about them!

After rebuilding the engine with new crank/seals/bearings I started it, but the back wheel was spinning like crazy when I opened the throttle a fraction - if I shut the throttle off fully then the engine would die and not hold idle.

Is it likely that the clutch is knackered and needs replacing ( it's the only thing I didn't replace pretty much) or is it down to spacing/shimming, or something else completely?

I read a former post on here that mentioned spacing in the clutch basket causing the starter clutch to drag could be an issue - if anyone could explain to me in simple terms how I check and adjust that I would appreciate it!

I actually thought the spacing for the starter clutch might be too big as it was very difficult to start and didn't feel like it easily engaged.

Grateful for any suggestions - as I have an early E50 the clutch is within the engine casings, so every time I get it wrong I have to take the engine out and split the casings again!

Cheers.

Re: clutch problem/shimming?

Richard Eberline /

all that info is in the manual, and in wiki.

Re: clutch problem/shimming?

Hi Gents just another question on this if someone could help!

I found the info in the service manual, but I'm lost at the first step.

The manual states that the upper and lower shims should be removed, and then everything else re-assembled so the shim measurements can be taken.

So I did that, then the first step in the manual is to push the clutch drum down, then measure the gap between the primary gear and the crankshaft circlip.

I don't understand this, as when the clutch drum is pushed down the bottom of the primary gear sits ON the circlip (hence no gap at all) .......with the original shim removed there is nothing between the circlip and the gear.

Grateful for any suggestions, I'm obviously misunderstanding something here.

Cheers,

Pete

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account