Timing Le Partie CDI on a Motobecane with no Timing Mark

Hey all,

I am working on timing with a used Le partie and there is no timing mark. I know where it's supposed to be... kinda 10 o'clock if it were a clock face... but I want to be dead on. I think this model is from when they just drew it with a marker. Any advice?

Thanks!!

Re: Timing Le Partie CDI on a Motobecane with no Timing Mark

timing light n read the wiki on timing cdi

Ah did some research and now I understand. Thank you!!

Mark on the periphery of the stator plate which aligns the centerline of the crank and the center of the trigger coil and a corresponding mark on the edge of the flywheel in alignment with the target and centerline of the flywheel. When these two components are assembled together and the two marks are aligned, that is the point where the signal to the CDI box is sent.

On a curved CDI box this alignment is the MAXIMUM ADVANCE you want to establish for your timing curve. Rotate the crank to the desired measure before top dead center and lock it down while the marks are aligned.

On a regular CDI box this alignment is where you want the spark to fire. Rotate the crank to the desired measure before top dead center and lock it down while the marks are aligned.

ALSO - I would suggest to verify the timing on the marked CDIs as the tolerance at factory can be off a few degrees. Also the marks are for 'set the piston to TDC and align' so that they can have regulatory considerations for restricting power and emissions factored in for homologation in some jurisdictions. Their settings will not be for optimum performance.

This is a trouble many folks have to fit the CDIs to their bikes and attempt to establish a nice setting that will provide a robust power improvement over their stock points setup.

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Mark on the periphery of the stator plate which aligns the centerline of

> the crank and the center of the trigger coil and a corresponding mark on

> the edge of the flywheel in alignment with the target and centerline of

> the flywheel. When these two components are assembled together and the

> two marks are aligned, that is the point where the signal to the CDI box

> is sent.

>

> On a curved CDI box this alignment is the MAXIMUM ADVANCE you want to

> establish for your timing curve. Rotate the crank to the desired

> measure before top dead center and lock it down while the marks are

> aligned.

>

> On a regular CDI box this alignment is where you want the spark to fire.

> Rotate the crank to the desired measure before top dead center and lock

> it down while the marks are aligned.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account