Stripped Threads; Helicoil or M7?

So I was going over a couple bikes I rebuilt last year, double checking things and re torquing and such. As I re torqued the head nuts on my Gila e50 Free Spirit, the last stud stripped the hole in the case. I only torqued to 108 in/lbs using a Mac torque wrench, so it shouldn’t have stripped. But it did, so now let’s fixit. I’m thinking the BEST repair option would be to drill it and install a M6 Helicoil. Is that the best practice in this case, or should I drill & tap to M7? Either option I have to buy the stuff to accomplish the task.

Re: Stripped Threads; Helicoil or M7?

Richard Eberline /

Since you have to drill at a 90 degree angle, the drill bit size is almost the same size for both. Tip drill a piece or steel (soft) at least one inch thick. this is your 90 degree pilot. helicoil would be my choice.

Easiest would be heli coil .

If you do M7 , you should do all ( 4 ) . And , maybe open the stud holes in the cylinder .

I'd buy a M6 heli coil kit . I've had and used mine since the early '80s . Came with a bunch of coils , which I'm no where near close to using up .

Here's a kit , cheap :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HeliCoil-5546-6-Metric-Thread-Repair-Kit-M6-X-1-X-9-mm/16487902

I think the helicoil tap is m7 anyway isn't it? either way, both are good options and will work, helicoil is best if for nothing else it keeps your studs and nuts all the same size.

Thanks again, guys. Helicoil it is. I need a set anyway. I have a stripped m6 tranny cover bolt on my Riverside. This will solve both.

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks again, guys. Helicoil it is. I need a set anyway. I have a

> stripped m6 tranny cover bolt on my Riverside. This will solve both.

Just a handy thing to have . Saves a lot of time and misery and doesn't take up much room . ;)

Thoughts on these kits from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VYGD8BC/

I’m not looking for a cheap kit, just complete with appropriate drill bit included.

> Seth B Wrote:

> Thoughts on these kits from Amazon?

>

>

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VYGD8BC/

>

> I’m not looking for a cheap kit, just complete with appropriate drill

> bit included.

That should do .

Here's another with what seems a lot more inserts and the same tools :

Thread repair kit

I did the same, fucked the threads on one of my rods in the case and stripped it right out. Im doing a helicoil with locktite then eventually will junk that and do a m7-m6 conversion and drill the rest to m7.

Well, helicoil kit came from Amazon today, so I removed the head, and was about to pull the cylinder when I noticed this

4B9D950E-998D-4587-9623-3FDA308AC3D0.jpeg

I didn’t strip the hole, I stripped the stud with the nut. Oh well. See what happens when you assume? All is well. Replaced the stud, and torqued em all down properly. Good as new.

At least I got a new tool out of the deal.

> Seth B Wrote:

> At least I got a new tool out of the deal.

You'll use it .

mike houlihan /

how do you get the studs out of the stripped case?? i have two to get out

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account